Thread: DIY swapping altitude compensator for boost compensator Bosch VE

DIY swapping altitude compensator for boost compensator Bosch VE

All,

After much deliberation I have decided to upgrade the 1HZ and fit a hair dryer.

I will do as much of it myself as possible, all of it if only the heavens allow.

It will be a complete do over-

• turbo kit
    • exhaust
    • intercooler
    • boost compensator
    • EGT and PSI gauges

question - has anyone here swapped their altitude compensator for a boost compensator? I spoke with a couple of pump mechanics and they are happy to do it for me (at a premium of course). I would like to purchase the parts and do it myself. I see a very handy sticky from SmithW on this site with detailed photos and descriptions for pump overhaul, which will go a very long way for me.

the rest is all pretty basic, its just this one bit I need some more info on.

any help / advice is appreciated.

thanks again guys!
    Regards,

Cade.

2001 100 series Landcruiser
    190,000 Km and counting on B100, 280,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

Re: DIY swapping altitude compensator for boost compensator Bosch VE

Isn't an altitude compensator the same thing as a boost compensator?
    They do the same thing. Surely, at most, you may need to adjust the max fuel at full boost.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles on oil based fuels:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car) [sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google

Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: DIY swapping altitude compensator for boost compensator Bosch VE

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Isn't an altitude compensator the same thing as a boost compensator?
    They do the same thing. Surely, at most, you may need to adjust the max fuel at full boost.
    Hi Tony,

they operate very similar, but the altitude compensator doesn't have any where near the range of fuel regulation the boost compensator does

i was very impressed with the ability to make fine adjustment to fuel flow before boost, low boost, on boost and overall flow. My Mazda has one and once I understood how to make the adjustments the adjustability is excellent.

You can acheive no smoke at all through the entire range and not overfuel or worry about cooking it. My wife drives it 90% of the time so I need it to be smokeless and reliable as she won't be watching temps or boost pressures.
    Regards,

Cade.

2001 100 series Landcruiser
    190,000 Km and counting on B100, 280,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.