Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pre Heating WVO before injector pump

Re: Pre Heating WVO before injector pump

I use helton HE's, never had a problem with then, they heat up really well, never get a blockage and are built for VO, not hot water or beer. They are copper, so heat fast and cover mine in insulating material, so the oil gets pretty hot. Got a few HE's for hot water, which have taken out of cars and installed heltons. My 81hdt cruiser had a hotwater heater which I've just taken out and will replace with a helton, they take up much less room and can be placed anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Mark, that heat exchanger is similar to the Helton one I tested several years ago. If you need a lot of heat, then a FPHE is the solution. The same amount of work installing it even a 10 plate FPHE gives a lot more heat than one of those.
    If you only need a little heat, just do a 5-10% ULP/95-90% Veggie blend in the veggie tank. Much easier and cheaper than mucking around installing a heat exchanger.
    Not in my case - it was installed by the previous owner. It's up against the firewall on top of the rocker cover, and there's a spot next to it where I can install my Frantz 1 micron filter

Dr Mark are you intending to install a Franz filter to filter your vege oil? Is it the type that use a toilet roll type of paper filter?
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    Dr Mark are you intending to install a Franz filter to filter your vege oil? Is it the type that use a toilet roll type of paper filter?
    Yep that's the one - I install it upstream of the standard filter. I consider it standard equipment on any car running on biofuels

Hi Mark,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I consider it standard equipment on any car running on biofuels
    I have been making and using biodiesel exclusively for my diesel vehicles for the last 16 years and have never needed nor installed a Franz filter on any of them.

Why I ask is that type of filter has problems with vegetable oil. The filter goes soft and forms tracks which means no filtering. Why I don't know, the same filter elements stay quite firm and solid when filtering engine oil. So I would recommend against using one. I have one on a shelf. As Tilly said the standard OM filter is more than adequate.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

I would only ensure that there is a transparent case coarse filter prior to the lift pump (if your engine uses one) or prior to the main fuel filter. I use the one that is standard equipment on a Mercedes 300D. I try to position it so that it is easily accessible. I use "wingnut" hose clamps and carry a spare in a ziplock bag in case it gets blocked.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prefilter1.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	2258
    Iit is easy to swap while wearing good clothes and the dirty one can be put back into the bag for later cleaning.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
    Hi Mark,

I have been making and using biodiesel exclusively for my diesel vehicles for the last 16 years and have never needed nor installed a Franz filter on any of them.
    Yeah it's probably not necessary, but I'd rather err on the side of caution. But I've just set up my 1HDT on SVO and the Frantz was causing a bit of a problem. When I got up around 100kmh iut was starting to suffer fuel starvation issues. I wasn't surprised because when I was installing it I was concerned about the narrowness of the internal diametrs of it's fittings - about 4mm. I naver had a proiblem with them when running on bio, but SVO is of course thicker, even when hot.

But I fixed the problem by reaming them out and putting 1/4" BSP fittings in, with a much larger diameter. Problem solved, but my system now has a huge dead volume in it. Once the fuel gets into the engine bay it goes through the heat exchanger, then the Frantz, then the factory filter. So when I'm switching back to dino before I turn it off it takes 7 or 8 km driving to purge the system

Change the location of the changeover switch to just before the stock filter, that way you only need to purge that filter.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Change the location of the changeover switch to just before the stock filter, that way you only need to purge that filter.
    That's probably a little impractical as it would invovle a substantial amount of replumbing - a better idea is to fit a pair of 3-way solenoid valves to isolate the heat exchanger, which is the biggest contributor to the dead volume. I could then wire them into the tank switch so that when I switch back to dino the valves isolate the heat exchanger and it just goes directly into the stock filter. Anyone know where I can get some 3-way 12V solenoid valves?