Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre Heating WVO before injector pump

Pre Heating WVO before injector pump

Hi Everyone,
    Can anyone let me know how to pre heat WVO before is enters the injector pump? I have a hose in hose system on the fuel line which only heats to 60-65Deg Celsius which sends the computer into limp mode on my Toyota Hilux 2003. I need to heat it to at least 90 Deg to get it to burn properly as the engine only gets to 82 Deg. Is there a small 12volt heat exchanger i could build to avoid this problem in the colder months?

Re: Pre Heating WVO before injector pump

Why do you feel that the oil is not hot enough? Have you tested 90 oil going to the IP?
    There are a variety of 12v fuel heaters available, from ones which wrap around the fuel filter to ones using a glow plug and thermostat which fit in the fuel line.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

A hose in hose is really only a preheater, good for making thick oil flow from the tank. Get a proper 20 plate heat exchanger (HEX). 82deg, that is just the max coolant temperature, the temperature of the injector will be much higher. A HEX will get the oil close to 82 deg. You could get a 12v heater if you like but you will ultimately find it is a waste of money.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    A hose in hose is really only a preheater, good for making thick oil flow from the tank. Get a proper 20 plate heat exchanger (HEX). 82deg, that is just the max coolant temperature, the temperature of the injector will be much higher. A HEX will get the oil close to 82 deg. You could get a 12v heater if you like but you will ultimately find it is a waste of money.
    Hi, Thanks for the suggestions. I have been talking to a mechanic that has done many conversions and ha tells me that using the heater hose lines i will never get up to 82deg as they restrict the flow for the heater box unless you can plumb it into the radiator directly. I have ordered a wrap around 12 volt heater with a 90 deg t/stat for the filter and am considering the injector line heaters also if anyone has tried them?
    Of course this is only a problem in winter and i am sure that the summer temps will be less problem in Port Macquarie.

This is quite interesting.

which only heats to 60-65Deg Celsius which sends the computer into limp mode on my Toyota Hilux 2003.
    I have never heard of an engine going into limp mode because the fuel is too cold.

Quote Originally Posted by yendor View Post
    Hi, Thanks for the suggestions. I have been talking to a mechanic that has done many conversions and ha tells me that using the heater hose lines i will never get up to 82deg as they restrict the flow for the heater box unless you can plumb it into the radiator directly.
    SNIP.
    No one who understands anything about automotive cooling systems would plumb the fuel heater to the radiator!
    The heater circuit is where the water is hottest and hot soonest. The cabin heater is in this circuit for good reason.
    You could plumb the HE in series with the cabin heater or in parallel with it. Depending on the configuration of your vehicle heater (constant flow or valved flow - with a valve in the heater circuit) you choose the one which works.
    * If the heater has a valve in series with it, you plumb in parallel with the heater, with the connections made by Teeing into the coolant lines where they attach to the engine.
    * If the heater has a constant flow, you plumb in series with the heater, with the HE prior to the heater.

If this is not hot enough for your fuel, then change the Thermostat to a 90C one.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

'85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Yep, what Tony says. If you have a HEX which uses coolant heat you have ample constant free energy to heat your oil.
    If you use 12volt heaters you have a meagre amount of heat provided by a constant extra load on your alternator.
    Sorry have never tried injector line heaters as over the years lots of people have found them to be hopeless.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Agree with Tony and Johnno, electric heating of your lines doesn't work well at all. I tried one on my backhoe, it was useless and ended up cutting into the radiator hose to install a HE as there was no other outlet on the system. As has been said the only way to heat your oil is to cut into the heater line and use a HE.

Any suggestions on where to get a reasonably priced HEX from?

They are available on ebay. search for 'plate heat exchanger'
    This one is cheap and looks to be big enough for your purposes. It has 1/2" hose barb connections so you will need to adapt to the size of your heater hoses (a couple of reducing Tees would work ) and your fuel lines.\When connecting, blow in one port and feel where the air comes out. Mark the 2 related ports. The other 2 ports will be the other side of the heat exchanger. This will correctly identify the related ports, so that you connect it right first time.
    Regards,
    Tony

Previous Vehicles: