Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is Your Computer Download Speed

Re: What is Your Computer Download Speed

Hi Alga,

Quote Originally Posted by Alga View Post
    ...if you have a modern computer system and not one based in the last century, you can get an excellent internet service way above anything telstra or optus will offer you, for less than half the price and rare drop outs.
    Now you have my attention.
    Please tell us who offers this service way above anything Telstra or Optus will offer for less than half the price

Hi Alga,

Tony, you are right about cost, as musicians, we travel about 9 months of the year and it has been quite a few years since telstra has had the best coverage.
    These two maps showing Telstra and Optus mobile Coverage does not support your statement, especially in rural areas.

I have been reading that you probably loose some download speed using the wifi which is what I use.

So I did a download test on the two sites I listed using the WiFi and then using an Ethernet cable.

Telstra Download test site
    Using the wifi gave- 21.56gb and 22.12gb
    using the ethernet cable- 23.73gb and 23.61gb

Speed of me Download test site
    Using the wifi gave- 23.73gb and 23.13gb
    Using the ethernet cable- 25.77gb and 25.06gb

So in my situation the wifi does create a small loss in download speed.
    But it is not convenient to be plugged into the modem so I did hook back up to the wifi

Quote Originally Posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
    Hi Alga,

Now you have my attention.
    Please tell us who offers this service way above anything Telstra or Optus will offer for less than half the price
    Linux.

Couldn't care less what the maps say, they are rarely accurate and what counts in reality, is actual personal experience on the road throughout Aus. When you travel and play in small rural Aus towns all year round and have done so for decades, you soon get to see the difference between the claims and the facts. Lots of telstra coverage requires an aerial as is shown in the maps, or are relay towers.

Where we live, telstra claims to have the best coverage and there is a telstra tower within site of our home and within the town precincts, which telstra always refers it's clients here to. However that tower is a relay to Port Arthur to cater for the million tourists going there, not a distribution tower. We regularly have people drive up the Mountain past our place to get a signal from Hobart and it's the same in most rural Aus. Many of telstra towers are relays to regional big towns where they make money and they bypass small communities. Now the NBN has put up a tower here, most people are ditching telstra because they can get a better more reliable service much cheaper through the small providers and Optus has excellent coverage here.

Same with windows, looks pretty, if you like buying an empty box and theb having to pay to be spied upon, constantly spammed, hacked and have you data stolen by all microsoft crony companies, go for it. But they are still using last century coding to protect their useless product and it is so intrusive and controlling, just a waste of money. That's why their upgrades etc are huge and you can't stop them or pick what you want updated.

Whilst linux updates are small, you can choose what and if you want to do an update. Then you have a choice of hundreds of different linux flavours and specific interest distributions, all free and very well supported. They are just a few advantages of a very superior computing system, rock solid reliability, if something locks or a program crashes, you lose nothing and a reboot bring you back to where you were without loss. The big thing with linux, is it is almost impossible to hack because unlike windows, for a hacker to get beyond the desktop into the back room of a linux distro, is almost impossible. That's why all NASA off planet computing is linux, all the big scientific, military organisations and close to 90% of world servers are linux. If you do the real sums and not just rely upon the corporate propaganda, you will find linux has close to 98% of all computing on the planet

Linux which is state of the art and light years ahead of windows and apple, is totally free, has tens of thousand of up to date excellent software, gives you freedom, full control and complete security. Plus its software is very superior to anything else, but may not look as good as proprietary junk. If you have a problem, or need a specific setup or program, you can get instant help on line and fix it within a couple of minutes most times.

It's all about freedom of choice, economic slaves stick with the costly useless propaganda they are fed, whilst real people live in the reality and don't get sucked in by the bullshit and lies of greedy corporations.

No different to using veggie oil, the majority scoff, whilst those living in reality, enjoy cheap fuel and save a fortune. I know for a fact we save many thousands for fuel each year and only have to buy some startup dino when we run out of BD on the road, as one can only carry so much in the bus considering we carry over 1000lt of VG with us and for big trips a fuge in the trailer. As you would know, 1lt of dino starts and stops your vehicle each day and that's not a big cost compared to running the crap constantly.
    Last edited by Alga; 6th August 2017 at 02:34 PM.

Hi Alga,

Linux.
    You seem to be confused.
    Linux is a computer operating system in the same way Windows and MacOs are operating systems.
    Linux is available free and has been around since 1991.

Linux operates the computer, that is all it does. Linux is not an internet service provider such as Telstra or Optus and has nothing to do with presenting the internet to the computer..
    They are not at all the same thing
    Linux performs a totally different function than Telstra and Optus

I was looking at the Telstra mobile map and noticed that they provide nearly continuous mobile coverage across the Nullabor along two different routes.
    The first being along the coast on the Eyre highway which is the main Automotive route and the other a bit to the North along the Indian Pacific railroad line.

At one time I thought it would be interesting to drive the road that runs alongside the Indian Pacific railway and visit the tiny settlements along the track, but I think age has put an end to that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
    Hi Alga,

You seem to be confused.
    Not at all, read your quote from my post, which is what I referred to. Ip's provide you with a connection and limit your access according to what you pay them, but if you run a linux box and know what you are doing, you can double your speed at least, access services you can't get in Aus and protect yourself from any intrusion. You can't do that with windows, your ip is locked in by microsoft and if you try to change it, they will reverse that and as you don't own the system just rent it, you have no say. With linux you can do what you want safely and legally, as you own it.

I can watch foxtel sports for free if I want, by changing my ip address to a European one and can even have a floating IP address so no one has a clue where you are or what you are doing, try doing that with windows and the provider doesn't have a clue. Having unlimited downloads. means you have no restrictions and if you don't abuse it, you have real computing and internet freedom.

We went across the Nullabor last year and came back down the centre, had good coverage most places and where we didn't, no one did.
    Last edited by Alga; 6th August 2017 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi Alga,

Not at all, read your quote from my post, which is what I referred to.
    I have reread my quote.
    As far as I can tell, a linux box is a computer that uses the linux operating system. Linux is not an internet service provider so you will need a service provider such as Telstra or Optus or Mate to actually connect onto the internet and then your Linux box can do it's "magic".

Ip's provide you with a connection and limit your access according to what you pay them,
    If you mean ISP's (Internet Service Providers) then yes Internet Service Providers connect you to the internet according to what you have paid for.

but if you run a linux box and know what you are doing, you can double your speed at least,
    It is certainly possible that you can hack your service provider to access higher internet speed than you have paid for if you know what you are doing, especially if you are using linux

your ip is locked in by microsoft and if you try to change it, they will reverse that and as you don't own the system just rent it, you have no say.
    Actually the IP you use on the internet is assigned to you by your service provider such as Telstra, optus or Mate .
    If you want to change your internet IP it is usually as simple as unplugging the power to your modem for a few minutes and when you plug back in you have a new IP- even with the NBN. I just tried it to make sure. I changed my IP twice in 15 minutes.
    Of course your IP is an Australian IP so if international websites have blocks on Australian IP's then you will be denied access.

There are many ways around that such as the Tor browser which hides your real IP and assigns you a random IP from a different country or VPN's which do much the same thing and are apparently used to access streaming sites in Europe and the USA that block Australian IP's.
    Over the years I have used several different web sites that can hide your real IP and provide you with a "Fake" IP when surfing the internet if you do not want your real IP known.
    Some are more convenient to use than others- some are free and some you have to pay for.
    I would not be surprised if someone has figured out an easy method of hiding their Australian IP when using the Linux Operating system.

With linux you can do what you want safely and legally, as you own it.
    I am not sure taking faster internet speed from your service provider than you have paid for is legal. Perhaps.

I can watch foxtel sports for free if I want, by changing my ip address to a European one
    That would only be the case if foxtel sport was free in Europe which I suspect it is not

and can even have a floating IP address so no one has a clue where you are or what you are doing, try doing that with windows and the provider doesn't have a clue.
    I have been doing it for years

We went across the Nullabor last year and came back down the centre, had good coverage most places and where we didn't, no one did.
    Who was your Mobile provider. As of 28 June this year Optus did not have any mobile coverage on the Nullabor and only very minimal cover down the centre
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 7th August 2017 at 03:13 AM.