Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Your Computer Download Speed

What is Your Computer Download Speed

A few weeks ago, at Telstra's strong urging, I switched my internet over to the nbn. No charge, a free modem (which I did not need nor use) and the plan I was on remained- 50gb download a month
    Apparently, in this type of change over, the default speed that you are put on is "up to" 25mb download

My download speed went from around 12mb on all coper to around 20mb with fiber to the node, with a huge slowdown between about 4:30pm and 9:00.
    I live less than 1km from the post office and the "Node" is just outside my house so I should have very minimal transmission losses.

I recently signed up for Telstra's super duper 1000gb package and did complain about the evening slowdown- even on Sundays!!!

Since then I have kept close track of my download speeds and very rarely does it dip below 20mb. it is usually around 22mb- even during the 4:30pm to 9:00pm period.
    I did some research on this and found that the site I was using to check my download speeds did not always agree with all the other down load test sites.

I think it would be interesting to know what other people are experiencing as far as download speed, service provider type of internet service etc.

These two test sites come recommended on a site I was reading and I find they are in close agreement.
    Give it a try and report your results

http://speedtest.telstra.com/

http://speedof.me/

I just checked my download speed on both sites with the following results-
    Speedofme 22.26mb
    telstra 20.98mb

Re: What is Your Computer Download Speed

I usually use http://www.speedtest.net/

The advantage of this one is you can pick the server to which the test is conducted. If you appear to have slow speeds to a site in a certain country you can do a test to that country to see if it is just their site that's slow.

Both your sites returned about the same results of 11.43Mbs 1.08Mbps

My nbn F/W speed is 24.47/13/5, I run linux on an Asus laptop and a have unlimited downloads for $70, would never use telstra or any of the other rip off corporations and have a very cheap modem.

Hi Alga,
    Yes, I would have preferred to have found a provider different from Telstra, however we had 10 months left to run on our current contract and I could not bear the thought of one more month of Foxtel. The 50gb plan we had with Telstra was not sufficient to stream video all month long.

My concern is not the cost of the service, my concern is centered on all the horror stories I read about problems people report concerning their switch to the NBN.
    Unlike some of the Telco's I have used in the past, Telstra has always provided me the service I have paid for.
    So far, my switch to the NBN has be painless and I am receiving the service I am paying for.
    As long as things continue this way I have no problem with the cost of the service.

My Daughter has Fixed Wireless too and she is happy with it.
    Her service provider is iinet
    Who is your service provider

I'm with "Mate", they are small but have very good service and it never slows down. Changed from 12/1 awhile ago which was great for most things, but not for watching footy or some real CGG as it would break up, but since moving to 25/5, it's been excellent for everything. Don't tell anyone, but yesterday was getting 50/25, after tweaking my linux box, by altering the settings and now it seeks out the fastest DNS and switches when another is faster. Didn't work on 12/1, but works on 25/5 and today am going to set it up to go faster on my old laptop running puppy, to see if it works and then do it on this one.

My techie friend who is a windows techie and showed me how to do this, runs linux for his personal work and says windows throttles your service by over loading it with it's 24/7 data mining.

Gave up telstra about 20 years ago for phone and can't understand why people stick with such rip offs. Have my phone through amysim for the past few years and they are also great, with excellent prices, 12c a minute calls and 12c texts no contract and a year to use your credit. If you use phone internet, they give you 4gig, all your calls and texts for nothing for $39. I only use them for internet when on the road and Mate allows me to put my connection on hold when travelling, so it costs me nothing and just switch on when we get home.
    Last edited by Alga; 5th August 2017 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alga View Post
    Gave up telstra about 20 years ago for phone and can't understand why people stick with such rip offs.
    That is interesting, Telstra has never ripped me off.
    On the other hand 10- 15 years ago we did get ripped off by another telco. That is why we went back to Telstra and they have always provided the service I am paying for so I have never seen any reason to change.

Tilly, I think Alga was referring to the cost of services thru Telstra. They are usually up to twice the price of other ISP or phone companies for similar level of service. The ONLY advantage of being on the Telstra network is the much greater coverage on their phone network.
    Now ALDI have phone plans using the Telstra network. I am tempted to get on board with them.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hi Tony,

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Tilly, I think Alga was referring to the cost of services thru Telstra. They are usually up to twice the price of other ISP or phone companies for similar level of service.
    I have done a lot of research lately and I know that Telstra is not the cheapest.
    I do not believe I ran across any service provider who would provide 1000gb at "up to" 25/5 + all national phone calls for $50 a month. I do not remember any provider even coming close to that.

It is true that a number of providers give "unlimited" data for home NBN internet, but unless you are downloading movies 24/7, for all practical purposes 1000gb is "unlimited" data.

I do have a pre-paid mobile phone with Telstra. I pay $100 a year for the service and never use up all time.
    While I have never checked, I probably could get a cheaper service from another provider. The concern is that while Telstra mobile works when I travel all over the countryside, many of the other providers do not.
    At my age I would rather pay $100 for a mobile phone that will connect to the phone system whereever I am than $75 for a mobile that only works within 15km of Paradise.

Let us know what the cost of the Aldi phone is and how it works.

Tilly,
    I will do my research again, the research on which I based that statement is about 18 months old.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Tony, you are right about cost, as musicians, we travel about 9 months of the year and it has been quite a few years since telstra has had the best coverage.

Amysim uses optus and there are many places where you get optus coverage and not telstra, yet to find a place where there is no optus and just telstra in the last 5 years. Many places in Tas you get better coverage and throughout NSW/Vic there is much better optus coverage than telstra. Used to carry a telstra phone through Southern phone services because of the low coverage of others, but that changed years ago and got to the stage where we never used the sth phone, so dropped it and save a lot of money over a year.

Unlimited downloads for $60 means you never have to worry about doing anything on line and if you have a modern computer system and not one based in the last century, you can get an excellent internet service way above anything telstra or optus will offer you, for less than half the price and rare drop outs.

On the road our costs go up, phone and internet cost us $30 a month for all calls/texts/5gig and we can roll over the data. That is 3 people using the net on the band phone, personal phones run into about $30 a year.