Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Imsides method

Re: The Imsides method

Here are the results of the testing.

THE TEST
    1 litre of new rapeseed oil was reacted with 150ml of a koh methoxide made to the Dr. Mark formula detailed on his website.
    1 litre of new rapeseed oil was reacted with 150ml of koh methoxide from the same methoxide batch mixed for the above, BUT for this reaction cement was added to the methoxide 24 hours previously and decanted before use..
    The ONLY difference between the two reactions is that the second one used methoxide dried by the addition of cement.
    The processing starting temperature was 17C. After the addition of methoxide, both samples rose in temperature during the course of the reaction to 23-23.5C . Both samples were shaken vigorously periodically over the course of 1 hour then left 24 hours to settle.

THE QUANTITATIVE RESULTS:

CONTROL SAMPLE
    VOLUMES:
    The control sample volume at the start was 1000ml of oil plus 150ml of methoxide, so 1150ml
    The control sample 24 hours post reaction was 1160ml

The volume of byproduct that settled out was 121ml
    The volume of bio produced was 1039ml
    This means that the percentage of byproduct formed after this reaction was 10.4%
    10/90 TEST
    There was a tiny drop of dropout that formed in the bottom of my dropout tube. The bottom of my dropout tube is divided into 0.05ml increments, and so my best estimate of the amount of dropout that formed is .02ml. Its really difficult to be accurate, but it was a really tint amount.

"CEMENT-DRIED METHOXIDE" SAMPLE
    VOLUMES:
    The “cement-dried-methoxide" sample volume at the start was 1000ml of oil plus 150ml of methoxide, so 1150ml
    The “cement-dried-methoxide” sample 24 hours post reaction was 1177ml

The volume of byproduct that settled out was 141ml
    The volume of bio produced was 1036ml
    This means that the percentage of byproduct formed after this reaction was 12%
    10/90 TEST
    There was no dropout whatsoever.

TWO QUALITATIVE OBSERVATIONS:

In terms of clarity, 24 hours post reaction, the cement-dried-methoxide sample was bright and crystal clear. The control sample was slightly cloudy and tending towards being opaque
    During the 10/90 tests, when testing the cement-dried-methoxide sample, the methanol remained almost clear . The control sample produced a cloudy methanol phase.

I have posted my results but I have had a message saying that the moderator must approve my post before it's visible

In drying ethanol rather than methanol, a chemistry reference book I have says allow overnight at reflux temperature to absorb all but 0.5% of the water from ethanol. I believe the claim was made that an advantage to this Dr. Mark method was room temperature reaction, without heating. Initially calcium oxide was the material not cement. Calcium oxide is harder to get than cement here. Calcium oxide somewhat forcefully bonds with water removing it from solution, theoretically increasing the methoxide concentration. But if the starting material vegetable oil has water in it the advantage is lost. I don't follow maitrang7995 post. Is that name oriental?
    Last edited by WesleyB; 23rd November 2017 at 06:10 PM.

The spammer has been removed.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    I have posted my results but I have had a message saying that the moderator must approve my post before it's visible
    David, I don't know why you would get that message, your post has been published at the end of page 3 of this thread with no Moderator intervention.
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

'85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Tony, when you say page 3 do you mean page 13. This post of mine is at present the last post on this thread. The results of DavidS arn't showing at the mo?

For some reason, the moderation facility did not tell me of a post needing moderation. (I will check this out later) I have approved the post and it shows as post 121 on this thread, at the top of my page 3 (set to show 40 posts per page).
    You must have your settings to show fewer posts per page (10?). Post numbers are better than page numbers, I guess.

Previous Vehicles:

Thanks Tony, Understood.

Hi David,
    Very informative, thank you for posting your test results.

Just curious,
    When you made your methoxide did you initially start with one 300ml batch of methanol and stir 30g KOH to the methanol and then partition off 150ml of methoxide for each test batch or did you make the methoxide separately for each test batch?

What did you conclude from your test results?
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 24th November 2017 at 02:39 PM.

Very Interesting David, thank you for that. It would be helpful to inform us what actual weight of KOH there was in each of the 150mls of methoxide.