Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Imsides method

Re: The Imsides method

Hi Wesley,
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyB View Post
    I initially intended to determine if a reduced temperature for the transesterification reaction was practical.
    Describe what you mean by practical.
    People have been doing the reaction at room temperature for years. Room temperature reaction is only something new to you and imsides. Everyone who has any real knowledge about producing biodiesel knows the reaction will go at room temperature.
    That is a given

I've read that calcium soaps are a problem with this Imisides Method,
    I have read a lot of nonsense posted about this procedure. As far as I can tell people are just making it up as they go along without performing any meaningful testing to support their amazing claims.

so I removed the free fatty acids and most of the water to minimize the formation of soaps via neutralization and saponification reaction.
    What did that entail- this is the first you have mentioned "removed the free fatty acids and most of the water"

it's a little cloudy from calcium oxide powder and calcium (di) hydroxide suspended in the bio.
    Explain how you determined the cloudiness was "calcium oxide powder and calcium (di) hydroxide suspended in the bio?"
    As far as I can tell you are just guessing again
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 20th September 2017 at 10:02 PM.

Magnesol advertises purifying vegetable oil in restaurant settings, extending its' usable good quality life. It absorbs polar moilecules which free fatty acids are. I boiled off water from the new corn oil, I saw bubbles forming. There is a principle in chemistry (except radioactive chemistry) that no new elements are formed, there is a continuity of material. New molecules might be formed but the material you started with are the amount of elements you ended with in an experiment. You consider what was present then I see cloudyness in the biodiesel. What could it be? There's a limited number of possibilities. It's not radium, francium uranium etc since they weren't present initially. It might be calcium oxide and calcium (di) hydroxide as one was present and one is an expected product present in the biodiesel. If that's a guess?

Hi Wesley,
    I boiled off water from the new corn oil, I saw bubbles forming.
    Really?
    I do not recall ever seeing water boil out of new veg oil

You consider what was present then I see cloudyness in the biodiesel. What could it be? There's a limited number of possibilities. It's not radium, francium uranium etc since they weren't present initially. It might be calcium oxide and calcium (di) hydroxide as one was present and one is an expected product present in the biodiesel. If that's a guess?
    I see cloudiness every time I make biodiesel.
    It is not radium, francium uranium etc since they weren't present initially.
    I guarantee you it is also not calcium oxide and calcium (di) hydroxide.
    You are just making guesses as to what it might be and presenting them as fact.

That 2g of calcium oxide you initially added to the reaction sure seems to have gone a long way
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 21st September 2017 at 04:35 AM.

I used a magnetic stirring hot plate with magnetic stir bar in a 2000 milliliter beaker using moderately fast stirring at atmospheric pressure . I heated the new Wesson corn oil up to 105 degrees centigrade. What would you assume bubbles forming and floating to the top were? Maybe water? That's a (educated) guess. You just assume new Wesson (name brand) corn oil is completely dry (anhydrous). It's not. I think you are guessing that I'm guessing, I'm not. Kind of hard to explain that one. In producing synthetic fuel energy input is an important question. How much energy does it require to make a manageable liquid fuel to run an engine? For example I made about 100 grams of biodiesel from acorns, but I spent $20 twenty dollars American in acetone to extract the vegetable oil from the ground acorns. A fast transesterification reaction at room temperature is potentially profitable industrially. This reaction at room temperature and it's fast is significant (probably). Tilly do you actually make biodiesel or are you an arm chair intellectual observer?

Hi Wesley,

What would you assume bubbles forming and floating to the top were? Maybe water?
    It may be water. I have never seen new veg oil bubble when heated.

You just assume new Wesson (name brand) corn oil is completely dry (anhydrous). It's not.
    I do not recall ever saying that I thought Wesson brand corn oil is completely dry (anhydrous)

I think you are guessing that I'm guessing, I'm not. Kind of hard to explain that one.
    Without any proof you posted that your biodiesel was: "a little cloudy from calcium oxide powder and calcium (di) hydroxide suspended in the bio"
    Without any proof you posted: "At 4:39 PM did a 10/90 test, I got 0.6 milliliters of fallout most of which appears to be a white solid. At 4:58 PM did the 10/90 test again, there was 1 ml of solid white fallout (calcium oxide solid)"
    Without any proof you posted: "Within 30 minutes all the corn oil seems to be reacted at room temperature."
    Posting something as being a fact without having proof is guessing.

Tilly do you actually make biodiesel or are you an arm chair intellectual observer?
    Unlike you, I actually make and use biodiesel for my everyday driving. Over the years I have made squillions of litres of biodiesel.
    In fact I will be starting this years production in a couple of weeks while my wife is visiting the USA

Of course it goes without saying that I am also an intellectual observer
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 21st September 2017 at 09:35 AM.