Thread: The Imsides method

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Imsides method

On this forum a while back "the Imisides method" was explained. The concentration of methoxide ion was said to be increased by the use of calcium oxide in potassium or sodium hydroxide/methanol solution. But calcium soap also occurred as an additional product. Calcium soap (ring around the tub) is an added problem in purification of useable, premium quality fuel. Mark Imisides said the reaction proceeded faster at a lower temperature. I have some calcium oxide but chemicals are hard to get here in Texas. I had hoped to use it on a more valuable project.

Re: Reduced oil temperature in reactor ?

Hi Wesley,

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyB View Post
    Mark Imisides said the reaction proceeded faster at a lower temperature.
    Are you saying that you think the esterfication reaction goes faster the lower the temperature and all the chemists who have been advising that the warmer the temperature the faster the reaction have been making a mistake?
    Or are you talking about something entirely different that is not relevant to this discussion?

Experiments I performed a number of years ago also showed that the warmer the reaction the quicker it went.

Please provide us a link to the quote you are talking about.

All i know is the extreme agitation and 60 degrees makes more (volumetricall fuel than original oil volume with obvious high conversion %, very sad problrm when your 1000 litres of oil makes more than 1000 litres of bio.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Matt. how did you determine it was "obvious high conversion%"
    I wouldn't complain if I were you.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyB View Post
    On this forum a while back "the Imisides method" was explained. The concentration of methoxide ion was said to be increased by the use of calcium oxide in potassium or sodium hydroxide/methanol solution. But calcium soap also occurred as an additional product. Calcium soap (ring around the tub) is an added problem in purification of useable, premium quality fuel. Mark Imisides said the reaction proceeded faster at a lower temperature. I have some calcium oxide but chemicals are hard to get here in Texas. I had hoped to use it on a more valuable project.
    Hi Wesley< I don't remember mark imisides saying that a lower temperature was advantageous although I remember he did the process cold. Maybe this could be the subject of another Thread in order not to confuse the original question.

Messaged moved
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

The concentration of methoxide is increased by calcium oxide absorbing water from the methanol, methoxide, potassium or sodium hydroxide solution. Water decomposes methoxide. It shifts the equilibrium to the right (products side of the sodium hydroxide + methanol yields methoxide + water) . By removing the water more methoxide forms at the same temperature resulting in a faster reaction.

Tony, It's Imisides not Insides. Anyway just to add, when I tried this method coming up to 3 years ago using Potassium Methoxide dried by using quicklime (CaO) the volume of glycerol recovered after processing was greatly reduced. Glycerol has a variable soap content depending on oil quality, methanol quality and type of catalyst used, but is in the order of 35%. With the dry methoxide there was virtually no potassium soap, so the glycerol volume was about 2/3 of normal.

Water washing was amazing, after the 1st wash the water was nearly clear. What lets this method down is the calcium soaps that are formed during the process. They are insoluble, so can't be removed by water washing. I tried the centrifuge and that also didn't work. I tried a magnesol treatment, also with a negative result. The only thing that worked was to filter the dried, slightly cloudy (due to calcium soaps) bio through oak chippings (3 times!) to get a zero soap result.

My conclusion was that it is too much of a 'faf' on to process like this every time.

Hi everyone,
    There have been many glowing claims made for this method. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, No one has ever actually performed careful controlled comparison testing to to find out what, if anything the benefits actually are.

Apparently this method removes water produced when mixing Methanol with KOH/ NaOH to produce the methoxide which should result in less soap being produced. Ideally this should give similar results to using Anhydrous Sodium Methylate (ASM)

During the base transesterification reaction, soap is produced in two ways.
    I- Neutraliztion of FFA. This will happen regardless of the water content of the methoxide
    2- Soponification of the oils because of water being present. This is dependent on water being present in the reaction. Reducing the water content of the methoxide should decrease the soap produced from soponification.

The theoretical maximum yield by volume using new oil with a titration of 0 is around 104%
    I have seen claims of a volume yields greater than 100% using the standard single stage base method.
    This suggests that provided the oil is dry there is actually very little soap produced through soponification as a result of the water produced when mixing methanol and KOH to produce the methoxide

It would be interesting to see some real meaningful test performed and their results
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 31st August 2017 at 11:46 AM.