Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 65

Thread: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Gosford NSW
    Posts
    15

    Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

    That’ll be it.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    159

    Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

    Ok what's the rationale, which I guess is the same thing as saying what's in it that assists the engine cleaning process? Also I see that there are different brands and grades...

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    numurkah
    Posts
    552

    Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

    I heard of running the engine on ATF, never tried it but would like to know more, surely it must smoke like a steam train.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    4,182

    Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

    Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    I heard of running the engine on ATF, never tried it but would like to know more, surely it must smoke like a steam train.
    Why?
    By the same assumptions, you would expect used cooking oil to smoke badly, but no:
    If the ATF/Used cooking oil is injected into the combustion chamber (or prechamber) through an injector that atomises the fuel correctly, there is no reason it should smoke. It is approximately the right amount of fuel, injected at the correct time into a combustion chamber where it ignites and burns completely.
    No smoke is produced unless the combustion chamber(or prechamber) is too cold for combustion to burn the oil completely (white smoke) or the IP fuel has been would up to give more power, as indicated by black smoke on acceleration.

    There are times where ATF caused engines to smoke. Mainly when the ATF is drawn into the engine intake and it then is an unregulated source of fuel, entering the combustion chamber during the intake stroke. The IP injects the correct amount of fuel for the engine speed and load. The ATF is excess fuel which is not burnt correctly (lack of atomisation) and is sent to the exhaust system smoking.
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 16th August 2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added more.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

    Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)


    Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).


    Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts


  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    159

    Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

    Well, fair enough, but I'm having difficulty seeing why I should run it in my engine. I found one bloke on Google that apparently runs his powerstroke on used ATF (90%). Apparently it doesn't burn as well as diesel. I've been unable to find any information on it in terms of its chemical composition, other than that it contains surfactants, which concievably help with internal cleaning.
    But for now I'll just run my car on dino. Up until at least 80kmh it runs fine. Presumably whatever is causing the issue will burn off, if it hasn't already done so.
    But right now it's in for an IP rebuild as the SVO has rooted the shutoff solenoid. Seriously, I dunno why you guys mess around with SVO. All the buggerising around with heat exchangers and flushing of fuel lines and so on. Bio is a whole lot easier. If I'd have taken the time to read up a bit more before I had a crack at it I wouldn'y have bothered

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    517

    Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

    As a chemist, surely you would know the attributes of ATF and how it operates in an engine. As with non synthetic 2 stroke, they have cleansing agents in them and those contribute greatly to cleaning the fuel system, especially as they are designed to clean when hot and a HE does that very well. Another trick is to get your engine to operating temp, rev it up and spray water mist into the inlet, which does a great job of steam cleaning the cylinders.

    Using SVO, is a matter of convenience and economics. Have run engines on BD and to me, it is more hassle than using VO, even though I make BD as a starter fuel. It costs me zero to use SVO, except for the start and shutdown fuel. BD costs me about 35c lt. Using VO costs me a couple of litres of start fuel even if I drive 500klms in a day, so 7oc or $3. If I was to run 500klms on BD, the cost would be much more and on dino, 5 times as much.

    Just completed a 5 driving days trip of over 4000klms in my 1hdt, the BD used cost about $1.50 starter, $6 shutdown and that's it. Using dino would have cost me about $8 startup and $18 shutdown, which is still much cheaper than running on BD.

    Work involved, with BD. heating the crap from my centrifuge then turning it into BD takes say 5hrs work to produce 100lt ready for the engine which doesn't include the centrifuge work. Plus the BD is not usable for at least a couple of weeks for settling etc.

    With VO, it takes me 20 minutes to fill the centrifuge tank and 5 minutes to clean the centrifuges and filters for 100-200lt. That's it, the next step is pump it into the vehicle or storage tank. With the 1hdt, its an automatic switch over, other engines use manual valves, because of the trouble I've had with auto switching. Changing a filter takes 1 minute and that is mostly done when fueling, only changed my inline filter on the trip at the start and when returning home and it probably didn't need changing. But at a cost of less than a dollar a filter, it's nothing and all the dirty filters are recycled after being flushed out. I use those filters on my machinery and generators, if they fail not struck on the road somewhere.

    I have no education, left school homeless at 8. But even someone like me can work out the economics and research stuff, then get a good return for the effort. May not understand the technicalities, but most certainly understand the practicalities in operation.

    Why am I laughing at you, because you seem to think because you've been overeducated into ideological technical slavery, you know it all, so always miss the simple reality of things. I prefer simple reality to the deluded delusions, the educated psychopaths are locked into.

    When flushing with ATF/2 stroke, haven't noticed much smoke at all. With 2stroke there seems more smoke but only when standing still., when moving none at all, but you can feel the engine improving.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,153

    Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

    So why would you get an IP rebuilt when just the shut off solenoid 'is rooted'? The diesel workshop must have seen you coming. I'd fix it myself, not hard, I've even changed one on the vehicle despite it looking like its physically impossible to do. While I'm not university educated like you Dr Mark I don't let that stop me from learning how to do things myself, like rebuilding diesel injection pumps, welding, building trailers, concreting, tiling, carpentry, plumbing, electronics, fixing al my own power tools and electrical appliances, spray painting, car and tractor restoring, etc etc, even making biodiesel which a 12 year old could do if shown how. The only time I've got someone else to do something on my vehicles in the last 30 years is when I needed the clutch changed on the Jackaroo and that was only because the gearbox is just too bloody heavy.
    You may be a great chemist but perhaps you should try learning a few new skills, if you ask nicely, people on this forum or others are only too willing to help along the way.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    159

    Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

    Quote Originally Posted by Alga View Post
    As a chemist, surely you would know the attributes of ATF and how it operates in an engine. As with non synthetic 2 stroke, they have cleansing agents in them and those contribute greatly to cleaning the fuel system, especially as they are designed to clean when hot and a HE does that very well. Another trick is to get your engine to operating temp, rev it up and spray water mist into the inlet, which does a great job of steam cleaning the cylinders.

    Using SVO, is a matter of convenience and economics. Have run engines on BD and to me, it is more hassle than using VO, even though I make BD as a starter fuel. It costs me zero to use SVO, except for the start and shutdown fuel. BD costs me about 35c lt. Using VO costs me a couple of litres of start fuel even if I drive 500klms in a day, so 7oc or $3. If I was to run 500klms on BD, the cost would be much more and on dino, 5 times as much.

    Just completed a 5 driving days trip of over 4000klms in my 1hdt, the BD used cost about $1.50 starter, $6 shutdown and that's it. Using dino would have cost me about $8 startup and $18 shutdown, which is still much cheaper than running on BD.

    Work involved, with BD. heating the crap from my centrifuge then turning it into BD takes say 5hrs work to produce 100lt ready for the engine which doesn't include the centrifuge work. Plus the BD is not usable for at least a couple of weeks for settling etc.

    With VO, it takes me 20 minutes to fill the centrifuge tank and 5 minutes to clean the centrifuges and filters for 100-200lt. That's it, the next step is pump it into the vehicle or storage tank. With the 1hdt, its an automatic switch over, other engines use manual valves, because of the trouble I've had with auto switching. Changing a filter takes 1 minute and that is mostly done when fueling, only changed my inline filter on the trip at the start and when returning home and it probably didn't need changing. But at a cost of less than a dollar a filter, it's nothing and all the dirty filters are recycled after being flushed out. I use those filters on my machinery and generators, if they fail not struck on the road somewhere.

    I have no education, left school homeless at 8. But even someone like me can work out the economics and research stuff, then get a good return for the effort. May not understand the technicalities, but most certainly understand the practicalities in operation.

    Why am I laughing at you, because you seem to think because you've been overeducated into ideological technical slavery, you know it all, so always miss the simple reality of things. I prefer simple reality to the deluded delusions, the educated psychopaths are locked into.

    When flushing with ATF/2 stroke, haven't noticed much smoke at all. With 2stroke there seems more smoke but only when standing still., when moving none at all, but you can feel the engine improving.
    No I'm afraid I haven't been able to find out much information about ATF at all - plenty of information about the additives, but nothing about the base oil. Anyhow it seems to run OK so I'll give it a go.

    I'm not sure what method you use for BD with a cost of 35c/L but my method costs about 20c/L, with no need for heaters or centrifuges or the like. I'm about to repost it after my next batch with some pics and vids

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    159

    Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    So why would you get an IP rebuilt when just the shut off solenoid 'is rooted'? The diesel workshop must have seen you coming. I'd fix it myself, not hard, I've even changed one on the vehicle despite it looking like its physically impossible to do. While I'm not university educated like you Dr Mark I don't let that stop me from learning how to do things myself, like rebuilding diesel injection pumps, welding, building trailers, concreting, tiling, carpentry, plumbing, electronics, fixing al my own power tools and electrical appliances, spray painting, car and tractor restoring, etc etc, even making biodiesel which a 12 year old could do if shown how. The only time I've got someone else to do something on my vehicles in the last 30 years is when I needed the clutch changed on the Jackaroo and that was only because the gearbox is just too bloody heavy.
    You may be a great chemist but perhaps you should try learning a few new skills, if you ask nicely, people on this forum or others are only too willing to help along the way.
    No I'm just going to get the shutoff valve fixed if that's the only problem. The guy I use has a jig that can test them. There are some things in life that I'm prepared to pay people to do, and fixing IPs is one of them

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ลึก ประเทศอินเด&
    Posts
    2,009

    Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

    Hi Mark,

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'm not sure what method you use for BD with a cost of 35c/L but my method costs about 20c/L, with no need for heaters or centrifuges or the like. I'm about to repost it after my next batch with some pics and vids
    The Fuel I made this year worked out at about 15c a litre. The only thing not included in this price is the electricity required for mixing and pumping into storage.
    I do not centrifuge, or heat the oil, I do not water wash the biodiesel once it is made and I do not use a bag of cement in the production.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •