Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

Hi Mark,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    No I'm afraid I haven't been able to find out much information about ATF at all - plenty of information about the additives, but nothing about the base oil.
    When I want more specific information about the contents of something, I Just have a look at the MSDS.
    For instance, Penrite MHPSemi Synthetic Multi Vehicle Auto Transmission Fluid
    https://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/msds/ATF%20MHP%20(Semi%20Synthetic%20Multi%20Vehicle%20 Auto%20Transmission%20Fluid)%20Rev%207.2%201016.pd f

The base content (Over 70%) is-"Distillates, petroleum, hydro treated, heavy paraffinic CAS# 64742-54-7"
    A quick Google of CAS# 64742-54-7 shows it to be-https://chem.nlm.nih.gov/chemidplus/rn/64742-54-7
    "A complex combination of hydrocarbons obtained by treating a petroleum fraction with hydrogen in the presence of a catalyst. It consists of hydrocarbons having carbon numbers predominantly in the range of C20 through C50 and produces a finished oil of at least 100 SUS at 100.degree.F (19cSt at 40.degree.C). It contains a relatively large proportion of saturated hydrocarbons."

ANOTHER EXAMPLE- Castrol Dexron III ATF
    https://www.grovesindustrial.com/msds/ILU_TRANS.pdf

Base oil - highly refined CAS# 64742-54-7 0- 90%
    Base oil - highly refined CAS# 64741-89-5 0-90%
    Base oil- highly refined CAS# 54741-88-4/ 64741-89-5/ 64742-46-7/64742-54-7/ 84742-56-9/ 64742-65-0 5- 10%

Then Google the CAS # for more specific information

If you need any further assistance just let me know
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 18th August 2018 at 03:56 PM.

I thought ATF didn't burn very well, Its designed not to burn, that why I thought it would smoke. I've seen people put in a 2 stroke engine and it fouls up the plug, and you end up with an oily mess, so Ive been reluctant to try it. Im alway open to learning somthing new though.
    So is ATF use straight? and does it clean the pump and injectors or the combustion chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    I thought ATF didn't burn very well, Its designed not to burn, that why I thought it would smoke. I've seen people put in a 2 stroke engine and it fouls up the plug, and you end up with an oily mess, so Ive been reluctant to try it.
    In a SI engine, oils will not combust properly. In a CI engine the atomised oil burns well.
    Im alway open to learning somthing new though.
    So is ATF use straight? and does it clean the pump and injectors or the combustion chamber?
    Sorry, never had a big enough supply of it to test it out thoroughly.
    As a combustible oil it will work as a diesel fuel.
    I use water injection at full throttle to assist in keeping the prechambers and combustion chambers clean.
    I stumbled on this after my first Fatmobile suffered a warped head due to loss of coolant. I persisted with the engine, but it was losing coolant at every run. When I took the head off, the combustion chambers either side of the leak were spotlessly clean, compared with the other 2.
    I have used water fogging into inlet manifold (for 20 minutes or so) to assist keeping the combustion chambers cool in my Mercedes Diesel cars until I got this car. I commissioned the water injection (WI) about 2 tanks of fuel ago and I can feel the increase in power when the injection cuts in.
    I am using a 30% ethanol in water blend in the WI system.
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 19th August 2018 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Replied to the first statement of the quote.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

One thing that is quite different between Automatic Transmission Fluid and Diesel fuel is their viscosity.

Diesel fuel in Australia has a viscosity of 2.0 to 4.5 cSt @ 40C
    Mobil Type F ATF has a viscosity of 36.0 cSt @ 40C

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    I thought ATF didn't burn very well, Its designed not to burn, that why I thought it would smoke. I've seen people put in a 2 stroke engine and it fouls up the plug, and you end up with an oily mess, so Ive been reluctant to try it. Im alway open to learning somthing new though.
    Have no idea whether it cleans the system or just the chambers, but from my perspective it makes a difference. Have tried it with and without a HE, found it seems to work better when the engine is at operating temps and the HE heats the atf/2stroke. Otherwise there seems no difference in performance. Been using 2 stroke more lately as buy it in bulk for my chainsaws and other stuff, there are two ways of doing it, I have a spare 5.5lt tank under the bonnet of the 1hdt and will use that when doing a full clean out, so the cleanser is not diluted. Or you can put some in the starter tank and it should do a bit of cleaning that way. When I first got the 1hdt, did a clean out with a mixture of atf/2 stroke and it did make a difference to performance.

No way would use it in a SI engine, it would most certainly clog the spark plugs. An IC engine is a compression combustion, not explosive like SI. You can run a CI engine on engine oil or most other oils, but not SI, ever.

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear about ATF in a 2 stroke. I used to fix chainsaws and other small engines, sometimes the owners would mix up there 2 stroke fuel, and they had run out of 2 stroke oil, so they put ATF in instead. It doesnt burn like 2 stroke oil, it just seems to bulid up and makes a mess, thats why I thought it wouldnt burn too well in a diesel.
    Water mixed with ethanol will also cool the incoming air, into your engine and you will get a power increase as the air is more dense, anyway there is a great website here
    https://www.snowperformance.net/wate...esel-s/190.htm

Pardon my ignorance but what are SI and CI?

SI= Spark Ignition
    CI= Compression Ignition

The plot thickens. The cutoff solenoid has been replaced but the engine is still running on when the ignition is turned off. So it's off for a full IP rebuild. Funny thing is that I never had these problems with Toyo IPs when running B100

Hi Mark,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The plot thickens... Funny thing is that I never had these problems with Toyo IPs when running B100
    Can you be more specific? Do you mean that you think it is funny that you are having this problem with your 1HDT because you never had this problem with a Toyo IP or do you mean you think it is funny that you never had this problem with the Toyo IP because you are having it with the 1HDT IP?

If it is any help, I have never had this problem on any diesel engine.