Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

Problems with 1HDT on SVO

I have some issues with a 1HDT on SVO.

It runs fine up to about 90kmh and then it loses power and won't rev any further. Switching back to dino in the sub tank makes a bit of an improvement but not much - it struggles to get past 100kmh. Even washing the SVO down to 50% with dino makes not much difference. If I turn the engine off on V100 the engine keeps running. I have to switch back to dino for a few minutes for the engine to stop. It has nowhere near as much power as the 1HZ that I used to have with an aftermarket turbo.

Here's what I know:

1. The SVO is fine. I've been using it in other vehicles with no probs
    2. The engine is fine
    3. The injectors are fine.

That leaves two options I can see - the IP and the turbo. The turbo has 340k on it

Comments?

Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

I dont have any experience on 1HDT, but a fair bit on its older brother, the 1HZ with power issues. My first thought on your problem was fuel starvation, either through blockage in the fuel cut solenoid gauze (crap might be built up around the plunger o rings preventing the shutoff from occuring) or the rubber o rings have died and fallen apart, partly blocking the ports. If the fuel cut off plunger is ok, the power issues might be solvable with a pusher pump. I saw huge increase in drive ability of the 1HZ after fitting a pusher pump, as I couldn't stop it from pulling air in the line through the stock filter housing. a clear hose installed before the pump will tell you if you have air leaks. Now i know the Ihdt has a different fuel pump to the 1HZ, but I reckon it will still have a fuel cut off plunger.

Good luck.
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 100 series Landcruiser
    240,000 Km and counting on B100, 330,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

Thanks for the repluy. If by pusher pump you mean a lift pump it already has one, and it makes no difference. Which probably means that the IP needs a rebuild.

Or I could give it to GTurbo, get them to replace the original turbo with a Bad Boy, and add an upgraded IP and intercooler.... Still doing the sums

How about going to someone who knows these engines and have them diagnose the fault. They will know the common failures and be able to make suggestions or repair it if you want to go that way.
    Throwing money at the IP or turbo is unlikely to find the fault as you will have disturbed the system significantly. It may fix the fault if you are lucku, defer the fault (comes back later) or not fix the fault and it is as bad as before.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    How about going to someone who knows these engines and have them diagnose the fault. They will know the common failures and be able to make suggestions or repair it if you want to go that way.
    Throwing money at the IP or turbo is unlikely to find the fault as you will have disturbed the system significantly. It may fix the fault if you are lucku, defer the fault (comes back later) or not fix the fault and it is as bad as before.
    Good idea. Any suggestions?

Just purchased a hdj80r last week for a song and sold my old cruiser (678000klm). Am about to convert the hd to vo and would like to ask the following of Mark.

Are you using throw away inline filters, a secondary pump on the vo line from the tank, 12mm fuel lines from the tank and re plumbed your return line into the fuel line after the main filter. This way you always have hot fuel going into the iP. Used to have a turbo triton with the rotary pimp and had nothing but trouble until looped the return line

In the past have found leaving the return line to the tank, means hot oil getting in and effecting the oil

My 12HT engines tend to struggle without a secondary pump on the fuel line after the tank, as does just about all my vehicles, have found these turbo's need a constant big supply of fuel and any slow down makes them struggle.

Just purchased a hdj80r last week for a song and sold my old cruiser (678000klm). Am about to convert the hd to vo and would like to ask the following of Mark.

Are you using throw away inline filters, a secondary pump on the vo line from the tank, 12mm fuel lines from the tank and re plumbed your return line into the fuel line after the main filter.
    1. Not using inline filters, but oil clarity isn't the issue
    2. Yes there is a lift pump. But it doesn't make any difference.

I don't understand the bit about the return line, but can't see how fuel temperature is the issue. Once the oil enters the engine bay it'll heat up pretty quickly, particularly after it's gone through the filter.

But the bottom line is that I know there's something wrong with the IP anyway, as the car doesn't even run right on Dino.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mark View Post
    Good idea. Any suggestions?
    Mark,
    Not having a Landcruiser, I cannot make any recommendations. Perhaps you may like to ask others in WA, who have a Toyota, and see who they would recommend.
    Perhaps Tim may be able to advise.
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 23rd September 2017 at 02:10 AM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

'85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Actually I was up talking to Graham at GTurbo yesterday. The turbo needs an upgrade anyway - the standard Toyo turbo is was too mild. T=He said that the issues with the IP may just be a tuning issue (I doubt it). So I'll get the turbo upgraded to a Bad Boy and then he'll have a go at tuning the IP accordingly. If the the pump does need a rebuild, then so be it

How do you construct a sig file? I couldn't see anything in the menu structure
    Last edited by Dr Mark; 23rd September 2017 at 02:25 PM.

Mark.
    Click on "Settings" (Top RHS of screen)
    When window opens you will see a series of boxes down the LHS of screen. Go down to My Settings.
    In there you can edit your profile, create / edit your signature, etc
    Save when happy with your efforts.

Previous Vehicles: