Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

Have you taken the injector pumps inlet banjo off and had a look down the hole? There is often a small metal gorse filter in there which gets blocked, sometimes they are inside the bolt,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 6.48.59 pm.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	2256 its very hard to see and you will have to hook it out with a with a wire.

Dr Mark there are several things which could happen with the IP which can reduce power output. First is blockage from WVO polymerising in the inlet to the pressure head, there is often a small piece of brass or stainless gauze at that point. Or there can on Toyotas be a small tube of gauze inside the port the stop solenoid screws into. Another thing which can happen is the regulating valve o rings can desintegrate causing loss of pump primary pressure and subsequently injection pressure. The high pressure piston can wear also reducing pressure and causing starting problems.
    All these faults, by themselves or combined in various degrees will starve the engine of fuel. This can lead some people to blame the turbo as it fails to make as much boost. However any turbo needs exhaust pressure to make boost and if there is insufficient fuel there is less exhaust so less boost. QThe last thing you should do is change the turbo without getting the fuel right. A bigger turbo will possibly make it worse while the IP is underperforming as it needs more exhaust flow than the smaller standard one.
    Have someone follow you and if the vehicle smokes (black) while you are flat out at 90ks then maybe there is a turbo problem, if no smoke there is a fuel problem. This will only apply if the injectors are good as you claim they are.
    Last edited by Johnnojack; 23rd September 2017 at 10:17 PM.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    Have you taken the injector pumps inlet banjo off and had a look down the hole? There is often a small metal gorse filter in there which gets blocked, sometimes they are inside the bolt,Click image for larger version. 

ID:	2256 its very hard to see and you will have to hook it out with a with a wire.
    Thanks for the tip - I'll have a look

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post

No filter in mine.

It looks like I'll just get the IP rebuilt as part of the turbo upgrade. I tried the trick with flooring it and there's no smoke coming out. Definately a fuel starvation issue.

Main reason I'm going for a turbo upgrade is the mild nature of the 1HDT - only 870kw at the rear wheels. With a GTurbo Bad Boy on it I can get 120-160kW depending on tune. They will fix that IP as part of the upgrade

Only 870kw at the rear wheels! Pathetic. Sounds like you are determined to rev her up a bit regardless, money must be burning a hole in your pocket Dr Mark. Good luck with it.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    Only 870kw at the rear wheels! Pathetic. Sounds like you are determined to rev her up a bit regardless, money must be burning a hole in your pocket Dr Mark. Good luck with it.
    80kW. Not much for such a big car. No if I could get it running properly without a turbo upgrade I would, at least for now, ansd maybe upgrade the turbo layter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 9.12.16 pm.jpg 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	2257
    Ok so next pull out the pressure control valve and replace the 2 o rings, they have a silly two sided head you might have to make a tool to remove it. I have taped a 7/16 six sided socket on them to get it out. or an open end spanner if you can get to it.
    Also check the hose that goes from the intake manifold to the diaphragm on top of the pump, if its blocked or broken it will not add fuel when on boost.

Thanks. I'll have a look at it

I'd be putting an inline filter in the system, they catch a lot of stuff and have come across vehicles running vo that have problems because they don't use them. Also a push pump really helps, hope don't get many problems with my hdt engine.

I use a centrifuge for my oil and there is still junk which comes through for some reason, even after the fuge it still goes through a 5 micron filter and yet the inline filter will still get cruddy over a few thousand klms. Have also found you can get gelling in the main filter if it's not purged properly once the engine cools down.

The fact it's running on tells me it's your fuel cutoff solenoid O-rings that have failed. Everyone seems to have glossed over that one? Worth a look. Like tony says get the fuel right first. Fix the turbo later.
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 100 series Landcruiser
    240,000 Km and counting on B100, 330,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.