Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The energy it takes to make biodiesel

Re: The energy it takes to make biodiesel

Sounds like a good methodology, Tilly. Will do next batch.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

Hey Tilly,

Now that you have said it seems obvious. Cant believe I didn't think of such a simple thing before. 'face palm'.

I am upgrading to a more expensive car, and would like to investigate improvements to my process. the idea of monitoring the batch as it brews is a pearler.

Thankyou mate!
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 100 series Landcruiser
    240,000 Km and counting on B100, 330,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DB View Post
    Evening all,

Here's an electricity load profile of my house today while I made a batch of bio from 180L of WVO.

I try to get the whole operation as close to the middle of the day as I can while my 1.5 kW solar PV system is doing it's best.

As you can see, the PV barely touches the sides when the 2.4 kW oil heater is on, but it covers a lot of the mixer, which I run for 90 minutes to do the reaction.
    I know there are quite a few electrical savvy people on this forum, so this is not aimed at those, but the rest of us knock about fixer-uppers. In QLD, im not sure about the other states, you can put up to 5.0Kw or thereabouts per phase down the line from solar production. Therefore if you have 3 phase at your house, you can upgrade to a 15.0kw system....

now this does require that you can access the additional funds, have lots of roof space for a big system and very little shading.

I recently fitted a 14kw system to my roof (52 solar panels with micro inverters) with what at the time was going to be a 5 year return on investment. I have just changed to Alita (or whatever its called) from red energy and have basically cut the ROI time in half. I now get 11.0c feed in tarrif as opposed to the 6.0c tarrif before and a big 25% discount for pay on time (which is easy because the bill is tiny) on I think 19 c/kwh as opposed to 26c /kwh.

Aircon can crank along all summer now. Very happy. I didnt know I could get such a big system until I chanced on a solar company that does large commercial installs. all the little operators that popped to service the domestic market just wanted to sell me a 5.0kw system.

Now I know this is a bit off topic, but it does lend a thought to the affordability of running bigger heaters to improve processes.
    Regards,

Cade.

Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

I did all the calcs years back on how much heat for how much oil for how long, I do know 1 joule per ml per degree C for water, just getthe specific heat of oil which is about 0.7 something and do some calcs.

Cade put in a 3 phase socket, and choose the heater element you want, 3 of, one per phase and go for it. If you really want I will put in a temp control,. automate the pump etc?Mine has a PID to get to 56, turnon the stirrer and I do some manual things, lots of work for ease of use!
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Cade - a 14kW domestic PV systems massive! You could probably put your washing machine, dishwasher, the AC and heat a batch of oil around midday and still be exporting to the grid. Good on you for offsetting the carbon emissions of many of your neighbours.

You will be well and truly set when the price of batteries gets to a reasonable level.

I would like to have more on my place, but it will be a struggle to fit much else. As it is, if I had batteries I would be self-sufficient 90% of the time, even with my little 1.5 kW system as we rarely use more than 4 kWh/day.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

Initially I was sceptical about going large, but when I did the sums it made sense. I am ready for an improvement in battery storage. the market i s crying out for it. I look forward to it halving in price.

attached is 2 graphs - one with a bio batch on it and the other without - you choose which is which!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solar graph cropped.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	2264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solar graph with heater on cropped.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	2265
    Regards,

Cade.