Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Ambient/ Room temperature Biodiesel Production

Re: My Ambient/ Room temperature Biodiesel Production

Hi Mark,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    FYI the other advantage of my method....
    To be candid, so far your method has offered no advantage at all.
    Disadvantages of your method includes, but is not limited to, taking days to perform a batch instead of the hours in the standard procedure and using a huge amount of KOH compared to the standard procedure. Your method also does not producing high conversion biodiesel.

...because of the very high catalyst concentration, a stirrer is not required. An el cheapo pool pump from EBay (set to recirculate) provides sufficient shear to make 1000L at a time
    smithy claims he routinely performs the standard single stage procedure in under an hour at room temperature using only a pump for mixing, and as an added bonus, unlike the biodiesel you produce, his biodiesel actually passes the 3/27 quality test
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 14th October 2017 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mark View Post
    FYI the other advantage of my method is that because of the very high catalyst concentration, a stirrer is not required. An el cheapo pool pump from EBay (set to recirculate) provides sufficient shear to make 1000L at a time

Thanks for the link, Ill have to try this.

Hi Everyone,

I would like to point out that three threads down there is a thread dedicated to discussing the Imisidies method of production.
    Please use that thread when discussing the Imisidies method

The thread I addressed was transesterification at reduced temperature (not put exactly that way). Drying the reaction mixture with calcium oxide does that. It's a good idea to develop, it works.

Hi Tony,

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Tilly, Can you please try the reaction with oil that has not warmed up to 40+C? How about waiting until you get home before adding the oil to your reactor (oil that has been stored out of the sun). This will make for a more valuable result for us in far less Tropical locations.
    We have had lot of rain and cold weather lately. The high yesterday was around 20C with lots of rain and a low last night around 10C.

First thing this morning I swam put to my oil storage and decanted into my reactor 130litres of oil taken from an inside the stack position 200 litre drum that was not in the sun.
    The temperature of the WVO was around 21C
    After mixing and allowing the temperature to settle (about 10 minutes), the temperature increased to 32C

I will probably mix for about two hours and then set off the second batch.

It is very wet outside

Tilly, Thanks for the weather report That temperature is much closer to what people consider "Room Temperature"
    Will you be performing any tests on the biodiesel?
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hi Tony,

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Will you be performing any tests on the biodiesel?
    The only test I ever perform on ALL my biodiesel is the "bright and clear" test.
    I know my biodiesel does not pass the 3/27 test.

Repeated testing in the past (even by me) has shown that as long as everything remains liquid, temperature is not a limiting factor in the reaction.
    In other words, if you are using a procedure that normally makes biodiesel that passes the 3/27 test at 55C, if you reduce the reaction temperature, as long as everything remains liquid, given enough mixing time or increased mixing vigor, you can still make biodiesel that passes the 3/27 test.

Quote Originally Posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
    Hi Mark,

To be candid, so far your method has offered no advantage at all.
    Disadvantages of your method includes, but is not limited to, taking days to perform a batch instead of the hours in the standard procedure and using a huge amount of KOH compared to the standard procedure. Your method also does not producing high conversion biodiesel.

Hello Tilly,

This is is probably an impossible question to answer without testing, but do you think that if the methanol quantity were upped to say, 20%, given the huge overdose of KOH, would Dr. Mark's technique give a clear 27/3 test in a single stage?

Best wishes

David

On reflection, that was an unfair question since the only way to know is to undertake some more testing. This I will do over the next few days.

In order to conduct a fair test, I will use wvo from my settling tank that as not undergone any glycerine pretreatment or enhanced glycerine washing.

David.

Hi DavidS-
    Welcome to the forum!
    You wouldn't happen to know Dgs and smithy would you

In order to conduct a fair test, I will use wvo from my settling tank that as not undergone any glycerine pretreatment or enhanced glycerine washing.
    I am glad to hear you want to do a fair test and are not going to use partially reacted Oil that has already undergone a first stage reaction to test the imisidies procedure.

Try some WVO titrating 15 KOH and see what happens
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 23rd October 2017 at 02:01 PM.