Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I plumb in a heat exchanger?

Re: How do I plumb in a heat exchanger?

Quote Originally Posted by Alga View Post
    I run the heated water from the engine directly to the HE, then back to the car heater inlet. If you use a T, you may find you only get a good supply of hot water when the car heater is switched off and with a T, you then have to plumb the HE back into the system. If you connect it directly from the engine to the HE, then back to the car heater, you get a constant supply of hot water and don't have lots of connections. Keep it simple I always say and it will work.
    Gotcha! I've finally worked the plumbing out - I didn't realise the heater loop as a completely different circuit from the coolant circuit - and in fact that's what the current HE is running off. I'll tap into it upstraem of the HE, plumb my 2nd HE in, and it'll get hotter quicker than the other one, which is what I want

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mark View Post
    Gotcha! I've finally worked the plumbing out - I didn't realise the heater loop as a completely different circuit from the coolant circuit - and in fact that's what the current HE is running off. I'll tap into it upstraem of the HE, plumb my 2nd HE in, and it'll get hotter quicker than the other one, which is what I want
    Is the second HE for hot water, or the vo, If it's for the vo, you could be wasting your time, as the vo will only get as hot as the water from the engine. Know someone who uses a double barrel HE for vo and hotwater, but they live in the NWNSW and there's a massive difference between using vo in warm/hot climates and cold, where I live.

On a Triton I had, tried a double barrel to get the oil hotter. Didn't work as no matter how I set it up, the oil temp was close to the same. When you loop your return line, the recycled fuel is already pretty hot having gone through the HE, then engine piping, which gets pretty hot and then back into the new heated oil.

It's for VO, because the first one (on the car when I got it), is for hot water. So the oil never gets hotter than 55 degrees, which is kind of OK, but it's a bit smokey when driving around town. I want a VO HE upstream of the CAV and downstream of the other HE. If it's coming in at 55 it doesn't have a whole lot of work to do to get up to 70 ish

Had difficulty ordering a Helton, so jumped onto EvilBay and came up with this thing - it looks the goods, and a $92 delivered it's a bargain

https://vod.ebay.com.au/vod/FetchOrd...&ul_noapp=true

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mark View Post
    Had difficulty ordering a Helton, so jumped onto EvilBay and came up with this thing - it looks the goods, and a $92 delivered it's a bargain

https://vod.ebay.com.au/vod/FetchOrd...&ul_noapp=true
    Public cannot view that link you supplied - need to be logged in to your account to view
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

By your own criteria, it looks very unsuitable...

Accepts 8 mm fuel hose & 12 mm coolant hose... weren't you complaining about those EXACT sizes being unsuitable for your vehicle in your other posts?

Tony and Johnnojack have recommended the FPHE (Flat Plate Heat Exchangers) which have threaded ports to allow you to use whatever size hose fittings you like...and you can buy those locally.
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

No those sizes should be OK, particularly taking into account the viscosity reduction the extra heat will supply. This will be upstream of the other HE. The thing I like about it is that's nice and compact - it doesn't have a whole lot of work to do, given that is downstream of the other HE (with the fuel flow) but it will at least allow me to switch to the VO sooner. It'll be interesting to see the temp figures that are generated

You'd get a better result if you put a "T" into the heater and had a direct flow to the HE, then use another "T" to reconnect the heater after the HE. You'd get much more heat in the HE and when you turned the heater off, no loss of flow

I think I just found a really good heat exchanger that will blow anything else out of the water.

This is off an M-series X5. It's used to heat the dino for more fuel efficiency. It's an electrically assisted heater that has the coolant lines plumbed into it. So when you first start the car, the electric element heats the fuel until the engine gets hot enough for te coolant to take over. My mechanic tells me they are very efficient, and do a very good job of heating the fuel, which is not hard to believe based on the size of the unit. He tells me they are pretty cheap 2nd hand and not hard to get. he's going to chase one up for me. I'll keep you posted

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1330.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	2274