Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: washing with heat

Re: washing with heat

Thanks for the great info Wesley, But I wont be pulling a vacuum on it as the vessel is way to hard to seal.

I have an abundance of electrical power courtesy of my solar installation so I think I will just boil it off.

I started a little experiment yesterday but I got interrupted, so I will have to start again.

here is what I noticed in yesterday's incomplete test:

1Kg of Bio in a saucepan on BBQ

initially it was cloudy after coming out of pump (had to prime pump so it still had some air in it when I pushed it through - hence the cloudy nature), but clarified quite quickly over heat. To be expected.

Then at bang on 65 degrees the most minute bubbles I have ever seen started to appear. They obviously increased with increase in temp (as per what you said about being mixed with higher boiling point substances).

Interestingly once over 100 degrees, there was visible vapour coming off the bio, and teh bubbles started to coalesce and increase in size with a soap like reflective sheen to them. I can only put this down to the water that is created in the brew mixing with the present residual soap. now there certainly wasnt a lot, just a few here and there on the surface.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saucepan test closeup.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	2272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saucepan test.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	2273
    glycerine started to drop out really quickly. I didnt measure it in any way, but there was a considerable portion of teh bottom of teh saucepan covered in glycerine within about 20 mins of being on heat.

I let my glycerine settle out of the brew for a week in the mixer before i transfer my fuel to my storage tanks, and then after it comes out of my storage tanks it goes through a glycerine trap I made, then through my golden rod filter. I can honestly say that the glycerine that settled out was not already separated from the bio when I put it in the saucepan.

I probably wont find time this weekend to do it properly, but I will post results when I get them done.
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 100 series Landcruiser
    240,000 Km and counting on B100, 330,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

Cade,
    Keep up the good work.
    Once you have this one completed, perhaps you could do a test on the already settled and filtered biodiesel, for comparison.
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Cade, when you return the saucepan to the kitchen, don't tell the Mrs what you have been doing with it!

Methanol is miscible in biodiesel and glycerine. So demething allows the glycerine in the biodiesel that's dissolved in the methanol to separate. I expect soap also falls out, so the resulting soap level will be lower. Someone years ago on biodiesel Ireland demethed, let it settle, getting a lowered soap content as indicated by soap content tests. A dry wash after settling for a week a month or longer might be in order.

I just popped out to the shed in between tasks and weighed the brew left in the saucepan. Now a lot of things went wrong with this little attempt so its rather meaningless, but the bio mixture with all drop out poured back in together measured 30 grams lighter on 1000 grams initial measure. so that means that I removed 3% of the initial weight of the brew as water and methanol.

I would estimate that the amount of glycerine in the bottom was less than or around 1ml.

I will do again properly from start to finish with as many variables as I can controlled, and then repeat to confirm. it wont be for a week or to though. I am coming up to the end of my study so its head down and bum up at the moment!
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 100 series Landcruiser
    240,000 Km and counting on B100, 330,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.