Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Glycerol composition.

Re: Glycerol composition.

Hi smithw, I wonder if your cloudy methanol phase is an indication that there is some calcium soap present. Are you sure there were no fines from the dried methoxide inadvertently added to your oil. Is your finished bio clear and bright.

The finished bio looks great, it is possible that some fines got into the methoxide. I suck it out of the drum with a pump and i did notice the cement was really easy to stir up from the bottom. I put a couple of elbows on the end of the pipe to minimize the amount of cement been sucked in.

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    The finished bio looks great, it is possible that some fines got into the methoxide. I suck it out of the drum with a pump and i did notice the cement was really easy to stir up from the bottom. I put a couple of elbows on the end of the pipe to minimize the amount of cement been sucked in.
    Your bio sounds good. You do have to watch getting some unreacted CaO into the methoxide. As you say it is very easy to disturb it. Did you notice any reduction in your glycerol volume.

Hi smithy,

Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    You do have to watch getting some unreacted CaO into the methoxide. .
    CaO is unlikely to be a problem as the MSDS for general purpose grey cement lists Calcium Oxide content as 0- 1%
    http://www.cementaustralia.com.au/wp...ose+Cement.pdf
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 22nd December 2017 at 11:54 AM.

Our portland cement is listed at around 63% CaO.

http://iti.northwestern.edu/cement/m...ograph3_6.html

Tilly, the CaO amount is contained under the heading 'clinker' it will be similar to the 63% I posted above, otherwise any buildings made from cement with the CaO content you suggested would fall down!
    Last edited by smithy; 23rd December 2017 at 01:02 AM.

I used calcium oxide and potassium hydroxide in the methanol. I didn't remove the calcium oxide and calcium dihydroxide prior to doing a room temperature transesterification reaction on new corn oil. I got glycerol fall out but an excess of strong base. In the soap test I used up all my weak hydrochloric acid testing for soap. Removing the finely divided calcium hydroxide and calcium oxide from the methanol seems to be correct. My room temperature biodiesel product is transparent yellow. I expect calcium soap is present (that's bad).

Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    Your bio sounds good. You do have to watch getting some unreacted CaO into the methoxide. As you say it is very easy to disturb it. Did you notice any reduction in your glycerol volume.
    I got a little less glycerol, I can get as much as 120 liters, this time I got 90 liters which is on the low end of what i usually get.

That reduction in glycerol is good. Less glyc = more yield, well done.

Less byproduct may indicate greater yield, but what about quality?
    Byproduct = Glycerol, soaps, residual methanol, unused caustic, water (from the reaction) and other contaminants in the oil.
    What has been reduced in your "glycerol"? to reduce the volume you measured from this batch?
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hi Tony
    I got a little more bio than I usually get about 20-30 liters, I was more concerned about the 3/27 test come out murky. Even after 2 days it still looks the same, no drop out. The bio itself look really good.
    Im having a think about where to go from here.
    My Bio book still hasn't turned up