Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Glycerol composition.

Re: Glycerol composition.

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    I should of said very Hot water which is what i do.
    So my first batch of cement diesel is now drying. Heres the good the bad and the ugly. The first thing i noticed is that putting cement in the methoxide just looks wrong, once i got over that, I also notice that as I pumping the methoxide the WVO seemed to generate a lot more heat and the methanol smell stunk out my shed.The reaction too was also quicker. I would of lost about 5Liters of methoxide as the cement seems to expand making this nasty mud in the bottom of the barrel and was difficult to suck the last little bit of methoxide out.
    I got 90 liters of glycerine out down from 120L and the colour of the last 20 liters was very light.
    Ill post the results of the bio test when it drys.
    The NaOH will dissolve rapidly in water at 20C. The water will get to over 50C easily.
    I make soap and can testify that this reaction is quite exothermic. It does not need to be any hotter than the oil you are mixing it with.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

smithw, here is some more info for you from IMB on the infopop forum (a mate of Tillys) You would have to adjust your calalyst amount to suit your titration.

The procedure is very straightforward. This could be done in a separate 55 gallon drum if you dont have a lid in the top of your processor.

Step 1. Heat your oil to 60C.

Step 2. Mix up a solution of 3gms of NaOH/ 30ml water per litre of oil to be processed

Step 3. Turn off your heater, pour in the NaOH/Water solution into the oil and mix vigorously for EXACTLY 10 MINUTES with a drill/paint mixer

Step 4. Without delay, pour in glycerol (20 litres per 100 litres of oil) and mix for 20 minutes if using a pump, 5 minutes if using a drill mixer. Leave overnight to settle.

Step 5. Drain off the glycerol, Reheat and dry for 6 hours or until the oil is below 500ppm of water. Drying is very important and the process may fail if you dont dry sufficiently.

step 6. Titrate and process as usual.

Im doing a 150 litre batch at the moment. My oil titrated at 15ml KOH which is similar to yours. I did the caustic stripping yesterday with 450gms of NaOH and 4.5 litres of water. I added 30 litres of glycerol.
    This morning I removed 37 litres of glycerol, reheated to 60C and am currently drying.
    The oil now titrates at 3ml KOH so will be very easy to process.
    Lord knows why the text has ended up endways on but I'm sure you can still read it.
    Last edited by smithy; 8th December 2017 at 03:37 AM. Reason: explanation of endways on text?

Hi smithw,

Ah yes, me good mate IMB.
    We certainly had some interesting discussions on the Infopop forum.

I strongly caution you to be very careful about doing anything IMB suggests until you do some careful testing on small test batches beforehand to see what actually happens
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 8th December 2017 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
    Hi smithw,

Ah yes, me good mate IMB.
    We certainly had some interesting discussions on the Infopop forum.

'interesting' is one word for them. You've done it again Tilly and got your smiths mixed up!
    Last edited by smithy; 8th December 2017 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Just realised Tilly had his smiths mixed up again.

Hi smithy,

Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    You've done it again Tilly and got your smiths mixed up!
    Not at all, my warning is to smithw. He does not know who IMB is, you do.

OK Tilly, I'm with you now.

Ive just ordered Paul martins Latest book, I have the one from 2006, which has served me well, making great quality bio from crappy WVO fill of chicken fart for the last 10 years. I have heard that he has updated his formula, it will be interesting to see what has changed.
    LOL the typo makes the post better so Im leaving it in there!

It does read OK, Warrick. I have come across chicken fart as well!

I have previously used the IMB method of caustic stripping to reduce the titration of nasty oil and it worked well. The only criticism I had of it was that glycerol is useful stuff, and can be used for prewashing oil (or enhanced-prewashing whereby some methoxide is added to the glycerol) several times. The IMB method rendered the glycerol so waterlogged that it could only be used once.

But it did a great job of cleaning and neutralising some really horrible oil I had.

David