Thread: Nissan 3.0ltr Patrol , has sub tank. Computer stops 2 tank system.

Nissan 3.0ltr Patrol , has sub tank. Computer stops 2 tank system.

Just bought 2004 Patrol. It has factory fitted second sub tank. I thought this would be an easy 2 tank system, readymade. BUT now find, you cant switch between tanks. Fuel is always taken from the main tank. When the sub tank button is hit, fuel pumps from sub tank to main tank. There are various sensors involved and these are tested every startup and run for a few seconds,sub tank to main tank.
    I am hesitant to start messing with this system as its computer controlled and i dont know what problems i might cause.?
    If I did replumb things and disconnect a few wires, add a few of my own, is the comupter just as likely to select a perminent limp mode.?
    Would i be better to add a third startup tank, trying to leave the factory setup as original as possible??

Re: Nissan 3.0ltr Patrol , has sub tank. Computer stops 2 tank system.

Have a series 60 cruiser with the same sort of twin tank setup, but no computer and I put a starter tank in it. Same with my series 80 cruiser just converted, it has twin tanks and a complicated changeover setup which is really hard to access, unless you take the main tank out.

I'm about to put a 5.5lt starter tank under the bonnet of the cruiser, as a fast flush of the iP/injectors. As it is when you switch tanks, the excess returns to the tank selected, so there is always oil going into the sub tank that's being used for starting. Which means the system doesn't get purged as much as it should. So the starter tank will connect after the main filter just before the iP, so it only goes through the iP and injectors, then the excess dino/bd will go into the sub tank. This means the sub tank, will have a small amount of oil always in it, which will be fine for cold starting. At the end of the day, all have to do is run the engine from the start tank for a couple of minutes, until it has cleared all the oil from the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Alga View Post
    Have a series 60 cruiser with the same sort of twin tank setup, but no computer and I put a starter tank in it. Same with my series 80 cruiser just converted, it has twin tanks and a complicated changeover setup which is really hard to access, unless you take the main tank out.

I'm about to put a 5.5lt starter tank under the bonnet of the cruiser, as a fast flush of the iP/injectors. As it is when you switch tanks, the excess returns to the tank selected, so there is always oil going into the sub tank that's being used for starting. Which means the system doesn't get purged as much as it should. So the starter tank will connect after the main filter just before the iP, so it only goes through the iP and injectors, then the excess dino/bd will go into the sub tank. This means the sub tank, will have a small amount of oil always in it, which will be fine for cold starting. At the end of the day, all have to do is run the engine from the start tank for a couple of minutes, until it has cleared all the oil from the system.
    Alga, Why not just have a single changeover valve in the fuel supply line valve in the fuel supply line. When shutting down, run the engine on the startup (purge) tank for a couple of minutes. All the purge mix will go to the main tank. No oil will enter the purge tank.
    At startup, start on the main tank, as starting fuel will be in the filter, IP and Injectors. Providing that your engine will run well on cold oil, then you will be fine. If it does not run well on cold oil:
    Either: use 2 changeover valves with a delayed changeover to the purge tank for purging and an immediate changeover to the purge tank from cold. Returning to main tank both valves should switch at the same time.
    Or: add some misfuel 5 to 10% (courtesy of people who have put petrol into diesel fuel tank) to your WVO to allow the engine to run on the cold blend.
    Have fun.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Dagwill, good to hear from you again. Has the cruiser been pensioned off? This is what I would do. Connect a new (larger) pipe from the sub tank to the engine bay and new changeover valve. Disconnect the sub tank pump. Use the sub tank for oil. Loop both fuels. Job done. Your new wiring for the changeover valves will be completely independent of the computer.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Theres an ideal spot rear passenger side of the engine bay for a 10ltr startup tank. Then i can leave the other tanks as original , if i put 2 solenoid valves after filter [main tank, startup tank] with the new wireing independant.
    I hope the computer will not be aware of my hanky panky. Should i loop the fuel return line, or just accept a bit of startup fuel going back to main tank, no harm ,just have to fill startup tank more often.
    The old 60 series was so forgiving on fuels, but this is a DI engine , i tried a tank of 50% dino and 50% [wco plus 10% ULP] from cold start i noticed an easily heard rattle until it was warm.[ not there on 100% dino] Nothing like bottom end knock but heavier than valve gear. As soon as engine is hot its fine ,so ill see how it is when i get around to fitting startup tank.
    Re HJ60 running on SVO 200K Km finally stuffed up the gearbox, as my left knee is a bit dicky i opted for an auto and an update. In hindsight that was a grt car, I should have fixed it, or fitted an auto to it.

PS. Jonnojack been thinking of yr plan. if i just disconected hose from sub tank to main tank, reconnect a hose from sub tank to egine bay, changeover valves etc. , I could T a wire from transfer pump to operate change over solenoid in engine bay, Still need a switch on/off for main tank, and loop fuel return. Im not sure but i think the sensors I was worried about prevent OVER filling main tank, possibly I could just disconect them? Just did some reading. The control module allows sub tank pump to opperate for a max. of 1Hr.. Completly independant controls best i think.
    Last edited by dagwill; 5th December 2017 at 02:01 PM.

G'day Tony, this is the first vehicle, other than a triton which is Di/rotary pump that have run on vo. So far have discovered it won't run when I loop the return, which would solve the problem. So I'm running through a number of different setups to get the right one for this dual tank situation. Can't afford to stuff the engine on this one, capable of rebuilding older engines, but these are a bit different to what I'm used to, so taking my time to decide the best way to go and this engine is a rebuild, with less than 20000 on the clock.

The first thing is to get the system working to provide the best outcome and today, will add a push pump to fuel lines to keep up with the engine requirements. Test that out, then add the start tank and hopefully get it right before anything goes wrong.

With the DI diesels you really need to purge well. I agree that a startup/purge tank in the engine bay would be a good option.
    I believe that Tim has a similar engine, why don't you contact him using the forum messaging system. Tim-HJ61
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Tim has a 12ht engine, which I have 2 and they are inline pumps, not rotary. Haven't had any problems with 12ht, but this cruiser is a rotary pump. Yesterday redid the plumbing, now it has a purge tank. Can switch off the main tanks and push pump when purging, have a switch on the fuel filter to turn off the push pump when purging and the purge starts after the main filter, which will have dino with a bit of vo in it. The purge tank will return to the sub tank.

So will start on the sub tank, run on the main and at the end of the day switch to the sub tank until final destination, then purge on the turbo timer when stopped. Heading to Hobart today, which will test it out over nearly 300klm, hopefully no stops on the way, as it is raining again.
    Last edited by Alga; 7th December 2017 at 05:24 AM. Reason: spelling