Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: terrano dying after a few k's

Re: terrano dying after a few k's

I had the same problem, It is the priming pump which is letting air into the system. I replaced the filter and put an electric inline pump so when I needed to prime it I could

Quote Originally Posted by bitsathis1 View Post
    I had the same problem, It is the priming pump which is letting air into the system. I replaced the filter and put an electric inline pump so when I needed to prime it I could
    Thanks all for your input its given me some new directions to follow, Bitsathis could elaborate on the type of pump you fitted and what did you replace the standard filter with?

I had a terrano for a couple of yrs. I remember reading they were prone to fuel lines corroding. Fuel hose is pretty cheap, run a new fuel hose from the tank [ i think you get at it under passenger seat or a cover in the back somewhere] to the engine

Fitted clear lines replaced primer pump and filter with one off another car.....no change drive for a couple of k's then it dies , Ican crank it for 30 seconds and it coughs and splutters and starts or i can get out and pump the primer. Starting to feel like its the injector pump thats the issue, sad as its not worth spending any more bigbucks on the old girl. Will try clear hose from injector return line but im not feeling confident. The bloody thing will sit and idle perfectly for an hour but if driving you get 5 minutes then its over

Don't scrap it yet, I don't think it is the IP. Sounds like a restriction in the delivery from the tank causing it to suck in air somewhere when using higher amounts of fuel. Time for bypassing tank altogether, tie a Jerry to the bullbar or put in passenger footwell. Take a hose from jerry directly to the ip thru a small inline filter. Leave return alone for purposes of the test. Report back when you have done this.
    Edit
    I now see Tony has already suggested this.
    Last edited by Johnnojack; 12th December 2017 at 02:48 PM.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

I fitted a Hansa electric in line fuel pump and also fitted a VF Cab fuel filter

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    Don't scrap it yet, I don't think it is the IP. Sounds like a restriction in the delivery from the tank causing it to suck in air somewhere when using higher amounts of fuel. Time for bypassing tank altogether, tie a Jerry to the bullbar or put in passenger footwell. Take a hose from jerry directly to the ip thru a small inline filter. Leave return alone for purposes of the test. Report back when you have done this.
    Edit
    I now see Tony has already suggested this.
    Are you thinking there is a restriction from tank to injection pump....what would cause this any ideas anyway will give it a go mate cheers but it may be a few days as work commitments take priority keep a look out.. thanks. could fitting a cheap inline pump as Bitsathis has suggested be woth a shot I can get one pretty cheap locally. Thanks fellas for your help I have a soft spot for the old car and I would hate to have her end up in the scrap yard

Is the IP mechanicly controlled , cable from accelerator, or electricly controlled VF zexel pump, throttle position sensor and black plastic box on top of IP withwires going to it.?? If its electronicly controlled it can be one of several sensors or bad connectors.

dagwill, I am pretty sure it is a mechanically controlled IP. I can't recall for sure but I have an impression it is an inline pump.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

mechanical pump its the d21 terrano