Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: terrano dying after a few k's

Re: terrano dying after a few k's

Quote Originally Posted by artrix View Post
    mechanical pump its the d21 terrano

Inline or rotary?
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Be very thankfull its a mechanical pump, and not the later electronicly controlled, witch are grt when they are NEW but a nightmare as they age. On the older Terranos access to the fuel tank is under the matt in the rear luggage area. Remove cover, disconnect fuel lines, dust off top of fuel tank, remove cover with fuel pickup,guage. Some have a filter on the bottom of the fuel pickup. If its not that filter at least you can blow through the fuel lines and know theres no blockage.

will try that over the next couple of days dagwill have to work a couple of long days will keep everyone posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Inline or rotary?
    Its a zexel which is a copy of a bosche pump I believe its rotary but cant be 100% sure

Yes it would have a mechanical VE type pump made by Zexel under licence from Bosch. Dagwill has suggested the fuel lines were prone to corroding so rather than adding a pump to possibly the dodgy pipe best to try the jerry can method to eliminate the fuel line for the moment. If it turns out to be blocked steel pipes then best to replace them. I'd try the airline some have suggested.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Well I have managed a stop gap repair.....I fitted an inline pump just prior to the filter and it worked , car has been driven 30 k's and no problems with it stopping. I must admit I am still looking at trying the jerry can idea but time at the moment is tight. I pulled fuel pickup out of tank and thee is no filter on the end so it couldnt be a blockage there. Must be the IP getting tired and not holding pressure. Is it right to assume that running pump long term will eventually cause issues? I just bought a cheap square facet style pump so I will eventually buy a better quality one. I must admit to struggling getting an air tight seal on pump outlets but will play around with thread tape. Many thanks ta all for your inputs its been very much appreciated. HAVE A GREAT XMAS EVERYONE

Good to hear you have some progress, sounds like your on the right track. If you have just bought one of those little square pumps,,,, an idea for after Xmas when the rush is over. Disconnect rubber hose from fuel tank, with a couple of extra bits of hose, plumb the pump sucking from tank pipe then into hose you just disconnected ,power up pump and leave it 1/2 hr then you can do a visual for wet leaks along fuel system, showing possible air leak intake spots. Anyway good news

cheers Dagwill not sure i am following what your saying but thanks for the input
    Last edited by artrix; 19th December 2017 at 11:28 PM.

Artrix,
    What he is suggesting is that you temporarily relocate the fuel pump to the fuel line leaving the fuel tank. Then run the pump for at least 30 min to check for fuel leaks from the fuel system plumbing. Any fuel leaking out would indicate a place where air leaks into the system when the IP is working without the added pump.
    You may not have any fuel leakage from the system though.
    Once finished testing, return the pump to it's current location. It obviously helps the IP in its current location.
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 20th December 2017 at 01:08 AM. Reason: revised
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hey Tony,

out of interest I have my pusher pump in both the Cruiser and the Mazda down near the tank outlet. I went to the effort of putting it there so the line is constantly pressurised, and always air leak free. Somebody once told me that fuel pumps are generally bench tested with a positive 2 PSI or so of fuel pressure. it would be nice to think that my pumps are providing this, although I never bothered to check. I doubt that there would be 2psi when the car is running, as I reckon the IP would draw almost as much as the little pump would provide. Since fitting down near the tank I have never had an air leak issue. prior to this I nearly sold the car in frustration.

I power mine form the ignition key, so it is always running. It also makes purging the filter bowl a breeze.
    Regards,

Cade.

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) 20,000 on bio
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), 10,000 on bio
    2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)