Thread: Glycerol / glycerine / biodiesel byproduct as rust inhibitor?

Glycerol / glycerine / biodiesel byproduct as rust inhibitor?

I'll try to conduct some sort of test in parallel with this, but what are everyone's thoughts on using bio byproduct instead of fish oil to slow rust down?

My Merc has some insidious rust developing around the bottom of my door seals and boot seal. Water seems to get in under the rubber and sit there. I haven't pulled the rubbers off yet as I'm scared about what I will find.

I have done quite a bit of rust repair on it already and, frankly, I've had enough. So I'm thinking about dousing the whole lot in fish oil and forgetting about it.

The frugal individual that I am got me wondering about glycerol though. The price is right and I have plenty of it.

Immediately these points come to mind:
    • It still has residual caustic that is likely to attach good paint;
    • It will also likely destroy the rubber door seals.

Perhaps I've answered my own question here.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

Re: Glycerol / glycerine / biodiesel byproduct as rust inhibitor?

I know that oil and bio degrade rubber and some plastics, but I have not heard of anything similar from byproduct.
    Do you have some metal and old seals you could try it out on? I a send you a rusty door (collect) if you like.
    If byproduct were applied in spring / summer, would it be washed out when it rains, or would it have hardened?
    Nothing to lose doing a test in old seals and metal though.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Straight veggie oil may be better for a rust inhibitor, BD is a great cleaner and takes oil out of concrete quite well. On my boat where veggie has spilled, leaked or whatever on metal there is no rust. We used to use boiled linseed for that on boats, you put it on iron nails and other metal fittings with a little bit of hardener and they virtually never rust. Have been using veggie on some of the wood interior, mostly peanut or mustard from a clean Indian restaurant. That seems to work pretty much the same, but you have to get the oil before it gets saturated with the smells from sitting around. I just put it through the centrifuge and drain it into a clean 20lt drum for later use.
    Last edited by Alga; 15th December 2017 at 08:01 PM.

I would think Glycerol is too water soluble to work for any extended period. One problem with rust inhibitors is than when applied they need to be thin (not viscous) to soak into any rusty parts, but for a long lasting protection they need to be the consistancy of something like candle wax.

The best thing I have come across related to bio/oil is palm oil, the type that only melts at around 30degs. Applied hot, then it sets. Here in UK it has the commercial name of 'frymax'.

Yes glycerine is too water soluble. Try soy oil. Soy oil is tending towards a drying oil so if you know one of your suppliers uses it (often just called vegetable oil or blended vegetable oil, with the silly statement 'may contain soy oil' in tiny lettering).
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

I believe that petroleum waxes are more water repellent than vegetable oils.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

I'm sure you are correct Tony, hence the propriety brands being mineral based (waxoyl and the like) Probably like you aussies, us lads from blighty are a bunch of cheapskates and will try anything bio related rather than spend money!
    Last edited by smithy; 19th December 2017 at 05:27 AM.

I know what you mean.

Previous Vehicles: