Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After 15 years decided to start washing my biodiesel

Re: After 15 years decided to start washing my biodiesel

Thanks again mate
    I will have another look at everything on Monday
    I think the 3ct has one hose and the 3cte has none, so I guess just block it.
    I am pretty sure the injector lines are all in the same place.
    Sounds very hoepful.
    Will let you know.
    Jim

My vehicles all have inline IPs, so can't provide personal experience on the use of the blend in rotary IPs, yet others here have used blends. Others have told me they use a WVO / ULP blend with no issues. Your experience may differ from theirs.
    Your oil should be liquid at all times. Yes, I had similar issues with my Mazda Capella, with the oil not firing up when cold, but then I was using hydrogenated palm oil which solidified at 15C. I suggest that you try it in warm weather and see how it goes, always with about a half tank of fuel, so you can always add diesel if necessary to restore easy starting. If it is OK at this time of year, especially for first start of the day, then keep at it until you have the blend that works for you. Too much petrol will reduce performance and may cause difficulty in hot starting (vapour lock due to the petrol boiling in the hot injectors).
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by penangke View Post
    Ok sounds easy, Dave.
    Thanks again.
    What sort of bubbler do you use personally and in what quantity of bio?
    Hi Jim, I use a 500 litre/ hour air pump per 200 litre batch.

I made small quantities of biodiesel, mostly from new vegetable oil in quantities less than 1 litre. I dry washed using magnesium silicate to remove soap after demething by vacuum distillation. If biodiesel is washed with water then there's the time and energy to remove the water. After dry washing using powder magnesium silicate in the soap pH test one drop of dilute hydrochloric acid got the color change. The soap quantity was so low the normal test didn't detect it. I never figured the cost of dry washing using something like Magnesol (a vegetable oil cleaning powder) on large quantities of biodiesel. I just experimented on making pure biodiesel. Years ago on Ireland biodiesel forum a proceedure was described of demething the crude biodsiesel, then letting it settle , then passing the biodiesel through wood chips to get a fairly pure product by that dry wash method.

Hi smithy,

Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    Hi penangke, with the estima being indirect injection it is not important that the fuel is fully converted, something around 90% is fine.
    That is interesting.
    I think you are the first person I have read that advises people that full conversion biodiesel is not necessary for indirect injection diesel engines and that only 90% conversion is fine.

Please tell us where you found this information.

Well I did it! Installed 3ct IP instead of 3cte. Took a whole day (i am pretty slow and had to humour myself all the way)

Very dubious, as I had 5 electric plugs left over not being used now, plus one plug on the 3ct pump not connected, and two hoses with no where to go.

Result: first observation, engine light and Low Oil lights on permanent on dash (no big deal) and Tacho not working.
    More importantly, sadly, motor much the same, running like a chaff cutter, no power. I had put down to the IP after seeing fuel going to it ok, and testing injectors by removing and turning engine over to see spray pattern. No spray pattern, just a sick spurt to one spot. Tried whole different set of injectors, no difference.

I may be be over Estimas now as, pretty sad I can't even find a second hand injector pump anywhere in OZ. And even if I did?

Just saw an add for 1998 Musso on this forum for $2500, SVO duel tanks looks attractive. About the price of recon IP and probably plenty of parts in future.

Jim

Thats no good Just want to ask have you checked the timing, sometimes the cam belt can skip a tooth if the engine has been rotated backwards. ( parked up hill in gear) This can give you the symptoms you describe. it not that common but it does happen, and it worth checking.

With injector out and reconnected to the ip wrong timing won't affect spray pattern.
    Check pressure regulating valve o rings. If ok Ip may be gummed up with polymerised oil.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

You are correct Johnnnojack, but a bad spray pattern will not stop the engine from running. I think there is a couple of faults with this engine, the fact that he has changed the pump and the engine fault is the same, suggest that there is something else going on. Could be timing, head gasket blown between cylinders, blocked exhaust or intake, or a number of other things its really hard to fault find over the internet. Usually these sorts of faults are something stupid that just been over looked. Like a blocked fuel filter..... You did fit a new fuel filter right..?

Thought I should update for those who gave helpful advice.
    Finally gave up on my Estima after replacing head, injector pump and injectors. Can't work out what is wrong. Compression test came out OK also. It starts easy and idles fine, but then rev it up, smoke and knocking( like a fuel knock). Lot of money down the drain there.
    Bought a Musso (2007, 200,000k for bargain of $2500). Sick to death of washing biodeisel already, I bought an Elsbett WVO, single tank kit for $1100 including postage. I Have about 2000lt Bio to finish washing and use up and then its SVO from now on.
    MUsso runs great I am sure it will run great on straight veg also.
    Jim