Thread: Danger in the shed - please read

Danger in the shed - please read

All,

This happened near my home late yesterday. We live 7 km from the explosion. my wife ran outside worried something bad had happened to our next door neighbours. It rocked the whole area/region. Big, Bad explosion.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...593aed85a7058a

apparently, the poor bloke was tinkering with making hydrogen from water. I don't know the details though, just what is reported in the news article.

Sobering message to us all. Be careful with flammable gases/fluids and electricity/heat.

It's very easy to become complacent or blaze'.

Stay safe.
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), just purchased

Re: Danger in the shed - please read

Saw that on the TV News, they said it was a gas cylinder explosion, and made it out to be a BBQ bottle and started their fear mongering about the dangers of gas BBQs.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-2...isbane/9682288

Yes I saw that too. That was an earlier report from yesterday. A bit more info has come to light since then by the looks of it. I rennet a science experiment from high school where water was split into hydrogen and oxygen using simple electrodes. When the two gases were combined the explosion was fantastic. Much more energetic than just hydrogen on its own
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), just purchased

Clearly the government must ban the use of both water and electricity by the general public.

Cade is of course correct. providing an igniting to a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen is much more exciting that just hydrogen- the reason the Hindenburg just burned and did not explode!

It's also thought the Hindenburg was started and accelerated by the use at the time of nitrocellulose as the 'dope' on the fabric. Not only did they use it to waterproof and tighten fabric-covered aircraft but to make kid's toys (kewpie dolls). It was also spun for nighties and the like causing some fatalities. Still used to make ping pong balls, just light one up.

H2 unlikely to be banned, it's too easy and of course there are dozens of stupid generators for automotive fuel on gumtree. One project I have in mind is a mini soldering torch (for jewelry work) etc.using a DC welder as a power supply, flux for the electrolyte. The flame is super hot and perfectly clean. The generator is made from plastic tubes in water with the bottom ends open, which will blow out of the water if there is a blowback which is prevented by filling the hose or hoses with stainless steel or somesuch wool, kind of like the arresters on your oxy-actylene which just use a screen to suck the heat up and stop it in its tracks.