Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blending Diesel with Filtered Vegetable Oil?

Re: Blending Diesel with Filtered Vegetable Oil?

Hi alga,
    Again, you are making wild guesses as to why your engine APPARENTLY runs smoother when using WVO.
    Making wild guesses and then stating them as fact does not help anyone.
    Nobody is questioning that your car runs smoother with WVO, just not for the reason you are claiming.

SINCE 2002 DIESEL FUEL IN AUSTRALIA HAS HAD THE REQUIRED LUBRICITY. It is written into the Australian diesel fuel standard.
    http://www.environment.gov.au/protec...andards/diesel.

Here is a test you can do to check whether the WVO is actually providing the substantial lubricity for your engine as you claim.
    Completely drain all the oil from your engines sump and just drive around with no oil in your sump.
    After a couple of weeks driving with no oil in the sump tell us how things are going.

...because of the deranged psychopath constantly abusing and insulting others.
    Wasn't that the fellow who claimed that with his Optus mobile phone he "went across the Nullabor last year and came back down the centre, had good coverage most places..." even though Optus provides NO mobile coverage on the Nullabor

There is a very simple reason your engine sounds different on WVO. It has nothing at all to do with lubricity of the fuel.
    A simple test to prove it is when running on dino fill an oil can with ATF and squirt a a few shots into the intake system.
    All that will happen is the engine will produce a bit more smoke.

What you are failing to comprehend is that ino and WVO have very different burn characteristics, and that is why the engine produces a different sound.
    Next time ya huddled around the camp fire get two empty tins. Fill one with dino and the other with WVO.
    One at a time chuck them into the fire and notice the results. The dino will produce more flames and at a faster rate.

And it has nothing to do with lubricity.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwarla View Post
    very different burn characteristics, and that is why the engine produces a different sound.
    Yes, effectively the timing is altered.

I used to have a Mercedes 300D. When I bought it, it was noisy as anything. Previous owner had advanced the timing to compensate for a cylinder being down on compression, I think.

Anyway, when I reset the timing to normal, it ran much more quietly (and "seemed" smoother, most likely because of the reduced noise).
    Last edited by 83Patrol; 14th June 2018 at 09:14 PM.
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

I can see that the engine may run quieter on veggie oil than on diesel because of the different burn characteristics of the fuels. In fact, that is the only reason that I can think of that there would be a difference. Both fuels are injected using the same IP and injectors, so the only difference is the fuel.
    If you were to add some petrol ( say 10%) to the veggie oil (as an experiment) I am sure that the engine sound would change. Add a higher proportion of ULP and the engine should sound different again.
    I concur that the Lubricity of the fuel should not change the sound of the engine running, especially on a Common Rail Diesel.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hi Alga,

Quote Originally Posted by Alga View Post
    Tony, I have a 671gm common rail,...
    One other correction to what you posted.
    The 6-71 Detroit Diesel does not use a common rail injection system, it uses unit injectors.
    Unit injectors combines the injector nozzle and the injector pump in a single component.