Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Musso Fuel Gauge stuck at 3/4 tank

Re: Musso Fuel Gauge stuck at 3/4 tank

I intended to do the test with the low fuel light about 10 times, each with about 10 litres of fuel. Surely even though the level where the light comes on isn't accurate, over 10 times the error would mostly average itself out.

My Rexton was manufactured Feb 2006 but not sold by a dealer and registered until Nov 2007 so It's one of the change over cars ie has common rail but no DPF. I would therefore assume it has an in tank pump which makes Tonys suggestion of a separate container a little difficult.

TBH I'm not that bothered (in a way) between the comparison with and without the WI. I'm trying to get the gms CO2/Km down to less than 226 which would put it into the lower tax band and reduce the road tax by nearly 50%
    Last edited by smithy; 28th August 2018 at 01:11 AM.

VIBRATION DAMPER REPLACEMENT FOR SERPENTINE BELT

THE SYMPTOM
    I did wonder what, if any symptoms there would be if the vibration damper was defective.
    In my case the symptom was a rattling from the engine compartment at idle that I could only hear inside the car. I could not hear anything when I opened the bonnet.
    When I increased the engine speed above an idle the rattle mostly went away.
    The rattle substantially increased when I turned the air conditioner on while the engine was idling or while I had the steering at full lock while idling. Both of these things put an extra load on the engine and slows it down.

SOURCING THE VIBRATION DAMPER
    I looked on the internet and the cheapest damper I could find available in Australia was $260!
    I then went to my favorite car parts shop and they could get it for me for $160+ shipping- still a huge price for what it is.
    I bought it from a UK supplier for $60.70 which included GST and shipping. It took 10 days to arrive.

INSTALLING
    Installing the vibration damper is a genuine 10 minute job. Just loosen tension on the serpentine belt and undo two bolts to remove the old damper. Install the new damper in reverse order.
    The thing that took me the most time was finding my 11mm box wrench.

I was concerned that the fan pulley would block the removal of the bottom bolt but it turned out that after removing tension, the tensioning mechanism could be swung up and the bolt would just clear the pulley.
    This is obviously a design fault because both ASTM and EN engineering standards require that things must be designed in such a way that precludes ease of maintenance.
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 7th October 2018 at 02:38 PM.

On my wife's C250 (OM605) I had to cut the bottom bolt off to remove it. I replaced it with a shorter bolt (probably the PO did this already on your Musso)
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hi Tony,

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    I had to cut the bottom bolt off to remove it. I replaced it with a shorter bolt (probably the PO did this already on your Musso)
    No, I bought the car new in 2006. Once you release tension on the tensioner spring and undo the top bolt on the damper, the bottom bolt is able to be swung up clear of the fan pulley. The limiting length of the bolt is the depth of the threaded hole it screwed into.
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 10th October 2018 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
    Hi Tony,

No, I bought the car new in 2006. Once you release tension on the tensioner spring and undo the top bolt on the damper, the bottom bolt is able to be swung up clear of the fan pulley. The limiting length of the bolt is the depth of the threaded hole it screwed into.
    Perhaps a change was made by the Koreans to overcome the correct situation that Mercedes designed , which prevented this item to be serviced without significant dismantling of the cooling system.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts