Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musso Fuel Gauge stuck at 3/4 tank

Musso Fuel Gauge stuck at 3/4 tank

I know a few of you have Musso Sports (LOL) 2.9 L turbodiesel vehicles.
    The fuel gauge on mine had always been slow to change (I could go 100km before it got from empty to full after refueling), but now it has only moved from full to 3/4 tank after 580km and the low fuel light has come on.
    After refueling this last time, the gauge has not moved in 250km of driving. It is still at 3/4 full.
    I am assuming that the tank sender is doing the right thing (at least as far as the low fuel light is concerned).

Is this a known issue with the Musso?
    Has anyone had a similar issue and remedied it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: Musso Fuel Gauge stuck at 3/4 tank

Hi Tony,

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Is this a known issue with the Musso?
    Has anyone had a similar issue and remedied it?
    This is a known issue.
    My fuel gauge will usually either works or not work.
    Most often, when I fill up, the fuel gauge stops working for a while and goes to E.
    Then it will start working but might work off and on for a few hours before finally settling down and working- until the next fill up.
    Sometimes it stops at a lesser reading than what is in the tank but not E.

I have never seen it stop at a reading higher than the amount of fuel in the tank.

Also be aware that the central locking randomly locks the doors whether you are in the car or not, especially if it is/ has been raining.

Quote Originally Posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
    Hi Tony,

This is a known issue.
    My fuel gauge will usually either works or not work.
    Most often, when I fill up, the fuel gauge stops working for a while and goes to E.
    Then it will start working but might work off and on for a few hours before finally settling down and working- until the next fill up.
    Sometimes it stops at a lesser reading than what is in the tank but not E.

I have never seen it stop at a reading higher than the amount of fuel in the tank.

Also be aware that the central locking randomly locks the doors whether you are in the car or not, especially if it is/ has been raining.
    Yes, I found out the hard way about the central locking issue. Now if I get out of the car, unless I have the keys on me, I open the drivers window.
    I have been reading on the Musso forums about the gauge issue, but most seem to be related to salt related corrosion in England rusting the pipes and stuff at the sender.
    I will remove the sender unit at my next opportunity and see what happens with it at different float levels (Resistance, Voltage and gauge reading).
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Tony, have the same fuel gauge problem in all my vehicles running on VO. Tried everything, replaced senders and cleaned them up, but over time they go back to acting weird and can go from full to empty and anything in between. I make sure the tanks are full and watch my mileage, ran out in the 1hdt once already, luckily just switch to the second tank and off it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alga View Post
    Tony, have the same fuel gauge problem in all my vehicles running on VO. Tried everything, replaced senders and cleaned them up, but over time they go back to acting weird and can go from full to empty and anything in between. I make sure the tanks are full and watch my mileage, ran out in the 1hdt once already, luckily just switch to the second tank and off it goes.
    Thanks. I have had issues with the Mercedes fuel sender, with veggie oil, but they just stopped working (open circuit), not got stuck.
    The fact that the low fuel lamp is working indicates that the float is not stuck.
    Only one thing to do is to pull the sender out and test it to see what happens as per mu previous post.

Previous Vehicles:

Hi Tony,

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    The fact that the low fuel lamp is working indicates that the float is not stuck.
    I had forgotten they had a low fuel light. Mine has not worked for years.
    Other things that have not worked for a long time are the front interior lights and the adjusters on the exterior mirrors.
    The rear cigarette lighter never worked.

I am afraid you will struggle if you want to keep all the electrics working

Hi Tony,

I had forgotten they had a low fuel light. Mine has not worked for years.
    Other things that have not worked for a long time are the front interior lights and the adjusters on the exterior mirrors.
    The rear cigarette lighter never worked.

I am afraid you will struggle if you want to keep all the electrics working
    Tilly,
    I don't need everything working but I do need a reliable fuel gauge.

Previous Vehicles:

I've noticed the fuel gauge on my 2007 Ssangyong Rexton isn't very accurate. It seems to have a 'delayed reading' up to half full.

I'm trying to get some economy figures at the moment with and without water/methanol injection and I'm using the low level light as a reference.
    Last edited by smithy; 26th August 2018 at 11:23 PM.

Hi smithy,

Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    I'm trying to get some economy figures at the moment with and without water/methanol injection and I'm using the low level light as a reference.
    You will need something a whole lot more reliable and accurate than the fuel gauge and the low fuel level light to run a meaningful economy comparison test.

Hi smithy,

You will need something a whole lot more reliable and accurate than the fuel gauge and the low fuel level light to run a meaningful economy comparison test.
    I agree with Tilly, You need to have mileage and litres of fuel used to make a meaningful comparison for fuel economy tests. Use the same route under the same conditions. You could use a container of known volume, connected to the fuel system by a valve, to allow the amount of fuel during the test to be accurately compared. The odometer should be accurate enough, even if it reads high or low, it will be the same accuracy for the tests, regardless of the fuel in use.
    Drive with WI disabled, until fuel container is empty, switch to the main fuel tank, return to the starting location, refill the fuel container and repeat the trip with the WI enabled. The difference in distance traveled will be due to the WI, provodomg driving style and other conditions remain the same.

I should do this with my WI system too.

Previous Vehicles: