Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

Re: looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

Paul,
    The simplest, cheapest option is to run a blend of 10%ULP and 90% veggie oil.
    This will happily run in your vehicle with no problems (once you get rid of the diesel bugs in the tanks)
    I recommend adding a prefilter before the main filter to catch any diesel bug from the tank.
    Leave the factory filter in place and get a reasonably large filter (larger than the factory one, but not massive) to use as the prefilter. It should be in the order of 5 - 15 microns rating.
    I have been running a blend for about 6 years now and apart from a problem with O rings in the C250 D that I had, the blend was great.
    If you get hard hot starting in Summer, reduce the ULP proportion, If you get hard cold starting issues in Winter increase the ULP proportion (max 20%)

There is an increasing number of us doing this.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mark View Post
    This is just my opinion, but don't do it. Have a look at this thread http://www.biofuelsforum.com/threads...th-1HDT-on-SVO

I had been making bio and running it on all my vehicles for years, but a while back I got lazy and thought I'd give WVO a go. If you want to go this route make sure you read all the stickys.

Here's what you have to take into account. The IP must be flushed extensively with dino before you stop the engine. The amount of flushing required completely offsets the cost saving by not using bio (I make bio for about 20c/L but WVO is free). And obviously the more short trips you do the more this is an issue.

If you don't flush adequately, it can destroy your engine by glazing the cylinders. There is at least one account on this forum of that happening. Conversely, if you run on bio, the very worst that can happen is that you'll need to get your IP rekitted with biocompatible seals.

Also, there's all the buggerising around with heat exchangers.

So, as far as I'm concerned at least, manufacturing biodiesel is the better option.

Mark, I have been using Blended WVO in a 1 tank system without heating or flushing the system for over 6 years with no impact on the engines of the cars I have had in that time.
    Try 10% ULP in your tank and forget about flushing.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Thanks Mark and Tony,

i am am not keen on making bio as I don’t understand the process yet and would prefer to do as little as possible. I Have set up a filtering system that will give me the 100l a week by settling and having a couple of filter feed by gravity. I am on rural block off grid and don’t have access to power where my setup is.

tony
    ill definitely research more into the blending. Sounds simpler. Is there any mods required to the engine apart from the prefilter? I have been waiting for the filtering system to fill. I currently only have 600 litres running through it and willl need another 400 litres until final product is coming out. I will need to test the outcome first but hoping all that settling works.

cheers Paul

Yes I reckon blending is by far and away the better option to all the mucking around involved with an SVO setup. I've only done it on one vehicle (a W124 Merc) and it worked a treat. I wouldn't do it on a common rail engine as the fuel systems are far more sensitive to viscosity issues but that's not a problem you'll have with your 1HZ