Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shitbox Rally October 2019

Re: Shitbox Rally October 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    So are there no roadworthy 2 wd diesel utes for that price. Maybe NSW yearly roadworthy checks have sent them all to the wreckers. I'm sure there would be plenty here in SA. Rough old farm Utes which if they have stayed registered and the drivers haven't attracted the law with their driving just keep plugging on. Old Tritons Rodeos and Hiluxes.
    Johnno - I think you have summed it up well. Any old utes in NSW are subject to annual inspections, so are probably in a lot better condition, on average, than in states where annual inspections are not required, therefore, fetch a lot more money. I've seen a couple of ok ones in VIC & QLD, but they get snapped up pretty quick. I have alerts but up on Gumtree and & Car Sales so I can get onto them quick, but pretty tough if they are interstate. Keep your eyes peeled!
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

I might have found my Shitbox.

My grandad bought a Peugeot 405 SRDT brand new back in 1993 (I think) and is looking at trading in on a Mazda 2 and they are offering about $900 on the trade.

It isn't a ute, but it meets all the other criteria.....except it isn't really a shitbox - it is pristine with less than 130,000 km on it with full service history - but it is still worth nothing secondhand, so I guess it ticks the box. I'm pretty sure he had to have the IP rebuilt back when everyone did upon introduction of low sulphur diesel, so hopefully Viton seals went in then.

And since it uses less than 6 L/100km (I think he said he got more than 1,000 km out of a 60 L tank once) I could probably just load the boot up with 20L or 25L (if the boot is tall enough) cubies and have enough to cover the 3,600 km. That would be about 8 x 20 L cubies + the 60 L tank full. If I can go to 25L the 25% extra volume should give enough buffer for increased fuel consumption. I recall it has a pretty big boot that should accommodate a load of that size and only be the equivalent of 2 adult passengers in weight. The back seat can take the swags and a few changes of clothes.

What do you reckon?
    3DB

As you will be doing a lot of dirt roads I'd be cautious about excessive weight behind the back wheels. I'd go for 2 cubies in the back seat foot wells and 2 maybe 3 in the front of the boot. That way you will still have some decent handling and not rip out the rear end on the first dip you overcook. We filled up 10 cubies and our 40litre tank at Cloncurry yet still managed to get the Jackaroo 1850ks to Adelaide via the Birdsville track without refuelling again.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Good tips, Jonno. Thanks.

My brother picked up the car today. It sounds a bit rougher than I remember, but should do the job.... it is nearly 25 years old I suppose. I daresay it is going to look a lot rougher once we are done with it.

I'll see if I can post some pics, though I don't like my chances based on recent attempts.

If anyone is interested int he route, you can see it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o899duwrt...5NC_Si_5a?dl=0
    3DB