Thread: IP Adjustments

IP Adjustments

Just a little off topic, I advanced the timing on my Musso, three turns CCW on the adjustment, (loosen the four pump mounting bolts first). Made a huge difference, pulls much better over the whole rev range, still no rocket ship but it no longer feels gutless. Well worth the effort, it took about 1/2 hour but most of that was finding the correct bolts, they are hard to see. If I did another one i could do it in 5 minutes.

Made this a new thread of its own - Moderator
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 3rd December 2018 at 02:32 AM.

Re: IP Adjustments

Sounds good. My 2006 Musso performance improved markedly once I adjusted the Full load screw out one turn.
    I used the instructions at www.ssangyongclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/152-diesel-tuning/&
    The middle screw on the engine side of the IP rear plate is a security feature which has a metal cup under the screw head and a plastic plug, held in by the metal cup, to prevent access to the IP controls.

I was able to remove the plastic plug after a lot of muted swearing and grazed knuckles and used the same torx driver on all 6 screws to remove the cover. Needless to say, the plastic plug and the metal cup were discarded when re-fitting the cover.
    Don't forget to catch the oil which comes out when you loosen the cover screws. It can make a big mess for so little oil spilt.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Thanks Tony, Im going to do that next. I read that the Musso engine is retarded from the factory and only gets worse as the timing chain stretches. The engine even sounds better, at idle it now has that muted diesel rattle a bit like a merc. Now that i look again at the back off the pump I can see that plug your talking about. Is there any way to put a PDF on this forum? I have a factory Musso manual if you would like a copy.
    Last edited by smithw; 3rd December 2018 at 06:31 PM.

Just pull the back cover off and adjusted the full load screw 3/4 turn CCW and turned the idle down one turn. The Musso goes better again. The only problem now is the engine won't turn off..... sigh. good thing it's not an auto. I've possible knocked off a vacuum line or something. Job for another day I'm still recovering from pneumonia so I'm about done for today.
    Tony If you haven't adjusted the timing I would recommend it, for my Musso it gave at least equal power gains to turning up the fuel. its a 2005 with 200 kms

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    Just pull the back cover off and adjusted the full load screw 3/4 turn CCW and turned the idle down one turn. The Musso goes better again. The only problem now is the engine won't turn off..... sigh. good thing it's not an auto. I've possible knocked off a vacuum line or something. Job for another day I'm still recovering from pneumonia so I'm about done for today.
    Tony If you haven't adjusted the timing I would recommend it, for my Musso it gave at least equal power gains to turning up the fuel. its a 2005 with 200 kms
    That is one thing I need to act on. I will set some time aside to act on it now that you have written up the procedure.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

I found the vacuum line i knocked off, it now turns off on the key.

I have the Ssangyong factory manual and have made a link for everyone. I was going to put it in the repair manual thread but it has been closed.
    So here are 1500 pages of it,
    Ssangyong Musso repair manual