Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5W50 or 10w50 or 20W50

Re: 5W50 or 10w50 or 20W50

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    The gear pump would be the best type of pump as when it is stops turning flow is locked.
    I would not want to be counting on that alone. Oil in the pump= slippery + lots of back pressure ???? Might just be enough to make the pump spin backwards and you lose oil pressure.

Yep that's possible, so use a NRV. An accumulator could still be the go. The way I imagined one would be to have a catch which held the piston in the fully loaded position, that is full of oil under pressure, and on starting the engine it would be released. Such a device could even be teed into the oil pressure gauge sensor port. For a quick shot of oil to the system before engine start maybe a volume of about 100ml would be enough.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 180000km on WVO,(2018) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 5000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins

Yes I suppose an accumulator would do the job, I am not familiar with them at all. If i did that I think I would use a fuel relay valve open when ignition is on , closes as soon as you turn off, and then an overide button to turn it on before next start. Yes a T at the oil guage outlet on rhe block, and I would need to remove sump and plumb a separate pickup, from the bottom up and out the side of the sump at its top.
    One downside i see is the more connections and things you have [ oil coolers, this thing, etc ] the more places and chances for something to go wrong. A temp sensor and oil sensor connected to a warning buzzer might be prudent.

You don't need an inlet from the sump. Oil gets pumped into the accumulator when the engines running and goes out the same pipe when the engine pump loses pressure. You can have a valve to operate as required, read the paragraph on valves on the Canton link I posted
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 180000km on WVO,(2018) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 5000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins

You could simply have a solenoid which is connected to the Ignition switch (for a petrol engine) or to the starter motor for a diesel. With a diesel a NRV in parallel with the solenoid would allow the tank to be pressurised when engine is running. When starter is engaged, a spurt of oil would hit the bearings before the engine has turned a full revolution.
    The tank would need a bladder like water pressure tanks, to store the pressure for oil delivery when starting. The smallest of those that I have seen is only 2 L. That may work, providing the bladder is oil resistant.
    Waddayathink?
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    2000 Ford Courier Crew Cab 2.5L Turbodiesel on Blended veggie oil.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

You can buy oil accumulators mostly for race cars, here's how they work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhRfUegqwxg