Thread: longetivity of engines on SVO

longetivity of engines on SVO

Hi I run my rebuilt Turbo Triton on BD, but have been seriously thinking of changing to SVO. What I'd like to know is what is the longest time people have been running their car on SVO, in years and any problems they have come up with during this time. I understand there's lots of problems to begin with, clogging etc, but once you've sorted it out, what's the longevity of the engine on SVO. I also have a 671 GM diesel in my motor sailor which runs fine on BD, has anyone run these 2 stroke diesels on SVO or have any info on it.

We use the glycerine to make herbal soaps etc, and I'd like to know if there is any difference in operation and process, using SVO when you remove the glycerine from the oil. And would you have to set your system up differently. I suppose I'm getting lazy and a bit sick of buying methanol and aren't capable of making enough ethanol to use that instead, as I'd probably drink most of it before it got to the processor.

David Guest

Re: longetivity of engines on SVO

There was a similar thread to this on the info pop site I was reading a few weeks ago. One guy there posted he had put 175,000 MILES (280,000K?) on WVO on his semi trailer with no problems what so ever

There were lots of people posting having used wvo for tens of thousands of miles.

As I understand from what I have read, the lubrication properties of SVO and bio are enormously better than those of low sulphur diesel so it would stand to reason if a WVO system is correctly set up with proper preheating of the oil, engine life should be increased.

A semi trailer doing a long haul is far more likely to last longer on SVO than an urban passenger vehicle. If the engine can get a proper warm up, then SVO will not be a problem. The problems happen with stop/start driving and short trips. Just my 2c.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

An ex-member of the WARFA has over 200 000 veggie km in his 300TD on high Melting point oils. He is a computer engineer and visits clients in his 300TD. he lived around 60 km from his office so Veggie is a great option for him. His wife also has a 300TD with over 150 000 veggie km using the same oils.
    He drove a Big Fat Merc Bus around Australia a couple of years ago. He sourced his fuel supplies along the way.

Thanks fella's, I feel a bit more confident about doing the conversion. I spent more than $5000 on getting the engine rebuilt to specifications, so I just wanted to know the longevity on SVO. I shall now proceed to change my old rust bucket Nissan ute to SVO and iron out the problems before doing the triton.

Hi Alga,

Quote Originally Posted by Alga View Post
    Hi I run my rebuilt Turbo Triton on BD, but have been seriously thinking of changing to SVO. What I'd like to know is what is the longest time people have been running their car on SVO, in years and any problems they have come up with during this time. I understand there's lots of problems to begin with, clogging etc, but once you've sorted it out, what's the longevity of the engine on SVO. I also have a 671 GM diesel in my motor sailor which runs fine on BD, has anyone run these 2 stroke diesels on SVO or have any info on it.

We use the glycerine to make herbal soaps etc, and I'd like to know if there is any difference in operation and process, using SVO when you remove the glycerine from the oil. And would you have to set your system up differently. I suppose I'm getting lazy and a bit sick of buying methanol and aren't capable of making enough ethanol to use that instead, as I'd probably drink most of it before it got to the processor.
    Just curious whether you have ever started using SVO