Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for Biodiesel People in Adelaide

Re: Looking for Biodiesel People in Adelaide

Hey all,

took me a while but I found my way here, thanks to someone in Perth selling some filters on eBay who had a link to the forum on his item.
    Currently building a reactor to start putting the oil I've collected over the last few months to use. Currently running on SAFF Bio until I get my reactor operational.
    If anyone can tell me where I can find a 2.0-2.4KW stainless steel heating element that mounts via a screw thread I'd love to hear from you (sorry guys, but I have issues with putting a flame near a container of liquid that has a flashpoint below zero).
    For those who are under the belief that you are buying B100 from SAFF at the moment, you are not. You are buying B50 or B60, during winter they blend it, B100 returns in October. This was what they told me when I contacted them when I was trying to find out what was wrong with my car when we had the REALLY cold snap a while back. I was told that between July and October it is blended to prevent clouding. Someone has also commented on an SA plant being used by SAFF, the same conversation lead me to belive it is made at the depot at Pooraka. If you have any questions about the product they sell call them, they are very helpful and friendly, although they dont like discussing how to make it, fair enough I guess.
    Anyway, here I am, amongst the like minded who (unlike some of my colleagues at work) dont consider me to be living on the lunatic fringe..

Gotta go, got a reactor to finish.

Adam

Adam,
    Welcome to the lunatic fringe.

Do you need a 5 micron filter?
    Tony

G'day Adam,

Id love to see that reactor one day. Where are you getting the oil? It is a very good thing that they are blending the B100 into B50 during the winter- I had a B100 batch left in the tank when we had the first cold snap, and my Hilux was running like a petrol-engined vehicle with a bad spark plug. I was driving up Old Bel Air Rd, and I could not get her to go any faster than 25 KPH the whole way up. I got to BP at the top, and put in about 25 litres of dino juice, and the problem went away within a few klicks. I think that once I get my homebrew still set up, I will have to make my own B50 in the winter to keep the 3 litre running strong.

Welcome to the edge(c:

Josh
    Cheers,
    JB
    1984 HJ47 'Patches'
    2002 Hilux 'Moe'
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Land Cruiser fanatic
    aeroplane enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by zigparacingtadpole
    Hey all,

took me a while but I found my way here, thanks to someone in Perth selling some filters on eBay who had a link to the forum on his item.
    Currently building a reactor to start putting the oil I've collected over the last few months to use. Currently running on SAFF Bio until I get my reactor operational.
    If anyone can tell me where I can find a 2.0-2.4KW stainless steel heating element that mounts via a screw thread I'd love to hear from you (sorry guys, but I have issues with putting a flame near a container of liquid that has a flashpoint below zero).
    For those who are under the belief that you are buying B100 from SAFF at the moment, you are not. You are buying B50 or B60, during winter they blend it, B100 returns in October. This was what they told me when I contacted them when I was trying to find out what was wrong with my car when we had the REALLY cold snap a while back. I was told that between July and October it is blended to prevent clouding. Someone has also commented on an SA plant being used by SAFF, the same conversation lead me to belive it is made at the depot at Pooraka. If you have any questions about the product they sell call them, they are very helpful and friendly, although they dont like discussing how to make it, fair enough I guess.
    Anyway, here I am, amongst the like minded who (unlike some of my colleagues at work) dont consider me to be living on the lunatic fringe..

Gotta go, got a reactor to finish.

Adam
    If you search the "end of the element saga" thread right here on this forum you will find what you are looking for Adam
    It is all self explanatory
    Let me know if I can be of any help
    Cheers
    Chris
    Last edited by Robert; 18th September 2006 at 02:16 PM.

G'day All

Thanks for the warm welcome to the site.
    Tony from West OZ, thanks for helping me find my way here, I have already learned a few things, but sorry at present I have no need for a filter, I already have the filtration side of things fairly well sorted.

Patches (Josh) When its finished and operational and I have the bugs ironed out I'll let you know and we can make some arrangements for you (and anyone else who wants to build one) to see the reactor. As for where I get my oil from, I have arrangements with several takeaway places local to me. Getting WVO isnt all that hard, most store owners are glad to give it away as it is a hassle for them to get rid of it. Ask around, start collecting now if you are planning on building a reactor. I have a couple of hundred litres stashed down the side of my house at the moment waiting for me to finish the reactor.

If anyone wants vindication go see the movie (doco) currently screening called 'The inconvenient truth', featuring Al Gore. Not only will you continue to use bio, but you will also start looking for other ways to cut greenhouse gases. Well worth a look.

Rgds
    Adam

Talking Re: Looking for Biodiesel People in Adelaide

Hi All,

im a newbie to this site and i make bio on my farm and it is great stuff. but i make my bio using a Centrifugal pump and getting it down to 0.5 micron then adding methonal to it and bingo i have my bio ye ha
    hope to hear from anybody in Adelaide drop me a line. Must warn you im a mad Peugeot collector and love Collingwood. would love to hear from anybody around the mid north.

regards,
    garry
    pug505v6@skymesh.com.au

Another Adelaide nutter here... (Shame to see this thread so quiet.)

Picked up a 1990 80 Series Landcruiser earlier last year from a homebrewer. Hadn't heard of BD before then. Have done some test batches only to get the basics sorted but not in production as yet.

About to gear up now with the new year upon us (and looking at distractions now that I'm back at work) and the failing of my diesel pump seals with the addition of petro-diesel...

My Cruiser 'Molly' (as in, "the unsinkable Molly Brown") has been on homemade BD since 1996 (250,000kms) and travelled all over Oz. I put some regular petro-diesel in over past few months and now the leaks have started. Still, most likely age/wear related so I won't dwell on it.

Need to get startup gear. Will be building my own based on what previous owner had set up - since he had a proven process. Looking for agitators, elements and so on from whitegood 2nd hand/salvage. Don't need any drums, I hear there are plenty available in Snowtown...

Anyone interested in organising a get together, count me in.

Cheers

Max

Re: Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

Have just seen your post here about people in SA/Adelaide making biodiesel. I am making it for myself in Riverland area. If you would like to network a little and share experience of bio results, please PM me for my email address Cheers. Jason P
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 21st March 2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Email address removed for member protection.

Ive just joined the forum. Would like to meet with South Australians to discuss entrepreneurial biofuels bids. Science training, turned businessman. PM me for my contact details Looking forward to hearing from people
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 14th August 2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: changed email address to PM request

hi all - i know this is a BIO section but just wanting to put my hand up and say Im looking to convert my old merc to use SVO/WVO so would be interested in buying filtered/dried oil before its turned into bio if thats of interest to anyone.
    cheers!