Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Warnqvest Conversion Test (3/27 27/3)

Re: Warnqvest Conversion Test (3/27 27/3)

I think what Tilly was hinting at but failed to actually say was that to titrate oil you dont use 27mls of isopropyl alcohol, you actually use 10mls.

Its sounds though from the reading of your last post that every thing else you where doing is correct.

I wouldn't bother as a newbie with testing with this method. It seems a bit scary. If you get good clear seperation with no soap or other layers then thats a good start (as a newbie). Stick with the basics and be happy with small wins.
    Last edited by joe; 22nd December 2006 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Joe. Sounds good to me. Just for my notes though, what is the purpose of a warnqevest test if not to detect substances that have no business in a diesel combustion chamber? Happy new year

Charris

Hello charris

I apologise for sounding "Terse"
    I seem to spend half my life straightening out problems that occure when people read inaccurate information about biodiesel production on the internet.

I am sure there are people on this forum who can help you.
    If not please contact me on the infopop biodiesel forum.

Tilly

Hi Tilly

Great posting, this type of clear postings can help to avoid the many misdirected processes that is a fact of life from some sites.
    Great Robert, prompt action to conserve clear and precise information. With enough of these clear and accurate postings, and easy access, will hopefully ensure they will not get lost in a Labryinth.
    Fantastic stuff happening.

Rgds

Dillyman

You can always get the biodiesel independently tested and check everything is okay for use, testing at home is fine, but having a good rundown done on it can tell you if your eading in the right direction. If your interested email me on jonatben@gmail.com and we can look at the relevant tests you need.

Hello Jonatben

Out of curiosity, why tests do you offer, are the tests performed in a recognised testing laboratory, and what is the cost.

Hi,
    my diesel turns out clean in the warnqvest test. Nevertheless I've got problems with blocked fuel filters. Just wondering if anyone does more testing on byproducts? The diesel washes without layers, looks transparent and I filter it before fuelling the tank.
    Thanx Petra

Quote Originally Posted by charris View Post

> Total WVO reacted. 200 litres.

> Total methanol used 40 litres.

I think that's part of your problem right there. The proportion of MeOH varies from user to user, but I have always used 20% MeOH - not the 16.6% that you have used. Thus, for 200L WVO, I'd have added 50L MeOH
    1990 HZJ80

Is it suggested that you use 20% methanol, by volume of the original oil, or that the mixture should contain 20% methanol?

If it is the former, the that is what he has done.

i.e. 40/200 = 0.2 (20%)

40/240 = 0.1667 (16.7%)

Edit: looking at the "Dr Pepper Technique" is suggests the following

MATERIALS REQUIRED
    1 litre oil- new or used
    NaOH (lye/ caustic soda), at least 6g. Used as a drain cleaner and can often be found next to the Drano.
    Methanol at least 250ml. HEETŪ Gas- Line Antifreeze in the yellow bottle is methanol and readly available in most auto supply stores in the USA.
    Now, this uses an amount of methanol equal to 25% of the original oil, which means 20% of the mixture volume is methanol. So to get the same ratio you would have needed 50L of methanol, rather than 40L.
    Last edited by TroyH; 24th April 2007 at 12:21 PM. Reason: extra info

Check out this video. Noise in the background was a roller door being blown around by a strong wind.

YouTube - Biodiesel 3/27 Methanol Test
    Slippery
    Small steps taken one at a time.