Thread: Pool Clarifier before filterin WVO?

Pool Clarifier before filterin WVO?

It sounds stupid but has anybody ever tried adding pool clarifier to WVO before filtering?

I ask this because I just came across this stuff and the effect on the pool water was amazing.

The stuff I used is described as "organic polymer" and 100 ml on 10.000 litre of water helped to make this water as clear as you can imagine on ONE filter run.

The effect is described as making the tiny particles cluster so that a simple sand filter can filter the bigger clusters out. "organic polymer" does not sound too bad and 100 ml in 10.000 litre is 2 ml in one big 44 gallon oil drum so hardly nothing.

Before I try this I thought I ask around if somebody else has tried this.

Would make our filtering very easy.

Cheers,
    Edward

Re: Pool Clarifier before filterin WVO?

G'day Edward,

The organic polymer is most likely some type of flocking agent. I am going to step out on a limb here and suggest that what works in heavily chlorinated water may not work in waste veg oil.
    Having said that however, why not give it a go on a smaller scale, say a couple of litres. You can scale your doses and a two litre bottle is easier to shake than a 44gallon drum. An eye dropper from the chemist might make measuring less than 1ml easier.

Best of luck
    Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

I'll take 20 litres and blow hot air to the bottom of the drum so that I have a very good mixing process and I get the viscosity down and maybe even the water out (if I induce air around 110 degrees celcius).
    I just read in a lister forum that air bubbles also make small particles stick to them and float to the surface where they can skimmed off.
    I think it's worth a go because it's easy and there's nothing to loose.

Edward

As has been discussed around the traps at great length recently, heat and air together in veg oil may (if the temperature and amount of air are right) start your oil on its way to decomposition and ultimately giving you an inaccurate test.
    Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Thanks for this advice. I will leave the hot air away then.
    Edward

I still think it depends on the amount of heat and the amount of air.
    Knowing the temperature it gets to whilst the oil is being cooked with, and that it has a surface to meet with the air, if it is under 100deg C I still dont believe it to degrade the oil to any great extent.
    However if you wish to degrade the oil, heat and air is the go, but it surely it would need to be inexcess of 100degC and alot of air?

To get the water out it does not need to be heated to over 100 degrees. it only needs to be hotter than the air going in and around the oil, and the water will go to the air. After all water and oil dont (like to) mix...

Surely a few hundred degrees with air contacting the top for a week (or how long it sits in the fryers) is more harsh than less than 100 with air going through it for a few hours?
    Last edited by Captain Echidna; 1st February 2007 at 09:46 PM.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Hi, water in oil, unless there's heaps of it, is not necessarily a problem if it's pure water. It's what the water contains that's the real problem. If using WVO the water in it contains dissolved salts and acids which will do damage. so evaporating the water, by whatever method is not the way to go. Best bet is to allow the water, with it's dissolved stuff, to precipitate out of the oil. Mild heat around 50 degrees C will assist this process and facilitate filtering as well. Black holding tanks and sunlight are the easiest way to achieve this warmth.

Extensive use of heat + air leads to oxidation of the oil, in other words it goes rancid. Why else do they change oils at your local greasy spoon? Otherwise they would filter it forever.

Cheers, Michael