Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compact DIY Home Bio kit

Re: Compact DIY Home Bio kit

Good on you Oily,

Its good to see some one is giving it a go, you have done it very well but some cheap improvement could help;
    • Look into a DC motor or low voltage motor mounted on removable frame as a drill bolted to the side is a bit unprofessional as to with the star pickets welded to the gas tanks.
    • Check into insurance, dont want to scare you but what happens if someone's house burns down!!. Its just a thought as liability follows me around with every power point I install, car I drive and action made. Maybe someone could advise you on this, good advice is worth paying for, it saves litagation.
    Good luck and keep going with it...
    Last edited by nature fuels; 25th May 2006 at 10:57 PM.

Smile Re: Compact DIY Home Bio kit nature fuels

Thank you all for the encouragement,
    I guess I new I was going out on a limb!!!!

I think one should look at the unit and the instructions not just the photo . As for the electric drill on the side of the unit,(there is a very good reason for this ) it is a very strong structure ;detachable, with a high watt variable drill as the mixer. I have had expert advice (since the last comment) on the set up and as it is an enclosed unit when mixing the methoxide and oil and the instructions set the way they are. there is no way it can cause a problem. The same goes with the mixing of methanol and sodium hydroxide, it is a closed process, no fumes.

As to the star pickets as legs they are not dug out of the ground , the star section of the pickets is a very strong steel section , stronger than angle. these have gussets where they are joined to the tank, it is very stable and very strong.

The tanks and all of the equipment have been tested now for nearly a year, the design of the recycled gas cylinder is very suited to mixing bio,

high grade steel and narrow shape with round bottom make it ideal but did give problems with the mixing of the liquid as you can't just put a stirrer in the tank, the liquid will just spin and not mix due to the narrow shape. The kit has a very long mixing shaft and at a special angle, the drills are suited because of the ease of removal of the shaft and the good speed control.
    I had a comment from the forum on the drill pump that it would last only a few liters my pump has pumped nearly 3000 liters and it is still going strong it will empty 100 ltrs in less than 5 min and doesn't mind bio.

There is a comprehensive instruction manual which has a very large section on safety but was written for the novice ,again this was checked over by professionals .

I think I have come up with an affordable means for the average non handyman to make Bio.I could easy have doubled the price and come up with another system that nobody could afford. Why do we make Bio!!!!!??

I guess the set up looks to simple in the photos that is why the comments like (as a drill bolted to the side is a bit unprofessional as to with the star pickets welded to the gas tanks. !!!!) posted by nature fuels I assure you I have put a lot of study into this (I am a mech engineer in my past life and a potter for the last 36 years with a passion for Vegi oil)

I hope I have explaned it a little better, I will always be looking for ways to improve it and I will always welcome positive suggestions as to the safety !!!! We are dealing with dangerous chemicals , and should follow all the safety recommendations, methonal storage and handling, caustic storage and handling and mixing procedures-----WHY DO WE DO IT----
    keep the coments comming you can improve on the bad things but you can't improve the good ones.
    Cheers

Oily

Well that sums it up, keep going it sounds like you have covered every base. Be prepared for a swarm of requests for you kit!!

Biodiesel Man Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcKpIB1HYKM
    Part 1 of 2

Enjoy!

Oily, if you need a small production line, BKK is the place to go.
    If you need more info, yr welcome to Skype me.
    Goodonyer, for having a go!
    Last edited by Agarwood; 17th July 2006 at 07:44 PM.

Agarwood - good video link there, you should post it up in a new thread in the general biodiesel discussion area, very useful for people (newbies) who want to see biodiesel being made.

Oily - how are things progressing? Have you had many enquiries, have many people bought units from you yet? If you need a hand getting together more pictures/diagrams/info etc, just drop me a line and I'd be happy to host a page for you.

Cheers,
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Done,
    thank you.

I would like to read Oily's comments after viewing the video.

The videoed U.S. system looks a lot more complicated than the photos shown by Oily, so far.
    Last edited by Agarwood; 19th July 2006 at 11:50 AM.
    I intend to live forever, so far, so good

Talking Re: Compact DIY Home Bio kit

Thank you for the video link it was very interesting.
    I think it would turn people off making Bio!! all that equipment all that
    room, it would be a lot of fun and a great place to experiment.
    If you look at all the equipment and the cost of it I guess it would be
    a lab for a production company making Bio in large quantities
    Simple is best in my opinion, less things go wrong. or my brain can't handle to much!!!!!! you can make 140 ltr a week in the corner of the garage
    I will skype you about the BKK???
    Oily

Quote Originally Posted by Agarwood
    Biodiesel Man Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcKpIB1HYKM
    Part 1 of 2

Enjoy!

Oily, if you need a small production line, BKK is the place to go.
    If you need more info, yr welcome to Skype me.
    Goodonyer, for having a go!
    </IMG></IMG>

BKK... yes, my Skype address is in my profile.

You're very welcome.
    I intend to live forever, so far, so good

For those who want a professionally built DIY processor for BioD then the BioMaster (bottom of page in link below) might be worth a look. Made from non-degradable materials with the correct fire safety approved electrical pumps etc. About $3K.
    Processing Equipment

Hi Oily,

Its been a long time since your original post and I'm wondering how you got on with your pre-fab processor? Are you still making & selling them?

3DB