Thread: Scale accuracy

Scale accuracy

Just a question on the accuracy of scales that people use. After looking around I found a set at BigW, these were 5kg but only had a accuracy of 0.1g . Should I look at 0.01g accuracy? Ebay has scales that are only 100/.01g. Now I would think when doing larger batches the 5 kg would be better. Although the smaller scales would be better, for tests batches. Any thoughts / advice before I buy.
    Thanks all Carolinefficeffice" />>>

Re: Scale accuracy

Hello Cass

I think an accuracy of 0.1g is more than sufficent for anything you are likely to need for biodiesel production or backyard testing.
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 14th May 2007 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    Just a question on the accuracy of scales that people use. After looking around I found a set at BigW, these were 5kg but only had a accuracy of 0.1g . Should I look at 0.01g accuracy? Ebay has scales that are only 100/.01g. Now I would think when doing larger batches the 5 kg would be better. Although the smaller scales would be better, for tests batches. Any thoughts / advice before I buy.
    Thanks all Carolinefficeffice" />>>
    0.1g from Woolies? You mean 0.1kg don't you?
    1990 HZJ80

Quote Originally Posted by marki View Post
    0.1g from Woolies? You mean 0.1kg don't you?
    no it does say 0.1g, will check it again. This time I will open the box and read instructions to make sure it is right.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    no it does say 0.1g, will check it again. This time I will open the box and read instructions to make sure it is right.
    Well, 0.g is plenty sensitive - how much does it cost?
    1990 HZJ80

Cass,

Depending on your processor batch size, the majority of weights that you will be weighing will be above 400gms. At that weight, 1 gram accuracy is all you will need.
    eg a 100 litre tank can process 75 litres of VO plus 15 litres of Methoxide with room for a 5% pre-wash and 5 litres of headroom. Using KOH, you would need to measure 600gms for the 8g/L base, add titration, say at 3, gives you 825gms.

The only time you measure less than 10gms is when you make up titration fluid or do 1 litre test batches.
    George