Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Future Fuels Distribution in Sydney

Re: Future Fuels Distribution in Sydney

This is good news. I've contacted them directly and I'll see if they can give us any definative answer (which outlets, which blends, are they constant etc). Hopefully we can get some better info than we've got so far from FF and I can post up a new thread.
    Mobil have been mixing biodiesel from Rutherford for quite some time and are quite interested/supportive of biodiesel. I will have to try and get hold of them too.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Isn't it a bit dodgy to sell it unlabelled? Aren't they risking a media expose with subsequent bad press not just for their brand but also for biodiesel in general? Would have thought they'd be using it as a selling point, not sneaking around with it.

There are labeling requirements and standards, but I was told that they have not yet been made law. Not sure how true this is. Nonetheless, they are still risking some bad media - I agree. It's always seemed absurd to me that they are not shouting this from the treetops and instead seem to be doing by subterfuge.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Marc1 Guest

On the topic of Volume Plus and their B50, when I am also happy about the chance of pumping biodiesel from the station around the corner, my enthusiasm is hampered by the other half of the equation. Is there a remote chance to know what sort of diesel is used for the blend? The answer is simple: No.
    Most "no brand" petrol station when asked say they sell only Caltex fuel. However such is in fact not Caltex Australia at Kurnell but Caltex Singapore, imported and with a very very low standard and a lot of contaminants.
    I suppose that it boils down to another very simple question. Do you usually buy the cheapest fuel you can find at any no brand petrol station? if the answer is yes than you wouldn't have a problem buying VP biodiesel blend. If you are like me, and you avoid dodgy take away just like dodgy fuel supplies, because you appreciate your health and want to keep your car roadworthy for a reasonable long time, then such mixture of unknown components is a risk not worth taking in my view.

Go back to an earlier post - Volume plus use Canola and operate a plant at Moama. They claim they only supply less than a 50% blend ie no more than 49%. Quality checks are made as per Aust standards to get the government rebate. Last weekend I called at Holbrook and they were out of diesel waiting for a tanker load blamed on production problems at Moama. My 1984 Rocky loves the stuff and I have not had filter problems.
    I like to always fill at the same places however commuting between Melbourne to Canberra this is not possible. The reality is that no fuel station attendants are able to give accurate details of the composition of their diesel fuel.

Marc1 Guest

OK 50% biodiesel, say it is the best ever. What is the other half made of? Cheap unknown source diesel you would never buy on its own.

I agree Marc, there are more likely to be problems with dodgy D2 than good bio, but they will blame the bio if your car has problems...
    Shell & BP are both now guaranteed low sulphur, and I think that Caltex Sydney have caught up - but if its imported you wouldn't know (and there is a lot of imported diesel in oz)....

..Neil
    ..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Re:volume plus sth strathfield

Hi everyone,
    I filled up @ strathfield last friday(first time in the datto)and it took close to half an hour to put 70L in . The label on the bowser read biodiesel.
    I nearly slipped over twice ,so have to be careful next time.I asked at the counter for a brochure, blend etc and the young guy had no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Hmm, sinister. This obviously warrants more investigation. I'll try to get to another one of these stations and see if I get the same thing there.
    Thanks for your efforts geewizztoo. If anyone else goes past a volume plus servo, could you please do the same?
    </IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

Just a further piece of info, I fuelled up at the VP Guildford store (listed in the white pages as Granville!) yesterday. It was bright yellow and no hint of petrodiesel smell (to my untrained nose--second ever tank of diesel, and first of bio). I did not bother asking the console operator anything as she looked like she probably wouldn't know . The standard sign others have mentioned was stuck inside the bowser display.

Hi Guys, Re this issue of percentage of blends.
    I have it from Andy fischer of SAFF, all blends of BD and fossil diesel must meet an Australian standard, otherwise the fuel supplier is liable for penalties.
    The blend percentage of BD and fossil diesel is relevant to a table that takes into account --
    The latitude of the area where the fuel will be sold.
    The time of year within a quarter anum when the fuel is likely to be consumed.
    ie, diesel blends sold in winter in Melbourne, are a different blend to diesel blends sold in Darwin at equinox.
    If a consumer in Sydney buys a diesel blend in Summer, then doesn't consume it 'till mid winter on a drive to the snowy mountains, they should be sure to top up in the mountains before shutting down the engine , otherwise the fuel may reach a gel point.
    Furthermore according to Andy fischer, there is simply not enough feedstock or biodiesel manufacture to attain the blends we could be selling in the more northern states.