Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pressing oil from acorns

Re: Pressing oil from acorns

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyB View Post
    Acorns have a high content of tannin, a bitter compound used to tan hides. Tannins are a class of compounds. Tannic Acid (C76H52O46) is now selling for $48.59 American Dollars for about 4 ounces. Tannic acid is very soluble in water. Tannins should be removed from biodiesel from acorn oil before fueling up the car with it. I expect tannins can not be vaporized in a motor's combustion chamber. Purifying tannins from acorns as part of extracting oil from acorns might be a monetary bonus in making biodiesel. Purified tannins are not a worthless byproduct.
    How do you make tannic acid? Thanks in advance.

Extraction might work. I haven't tried it. You don't make the tannins, you separate it out. It's a constituent of what is already present. Tannic acid is soluble in water. Grind up acorns then soak in excess cold water. Pouring off the water and tannins will be in the water. That's a crude product for further purification. Evaporate off the water and that's an initial product.

I thought about it a bit. I might try this myself. Grind up acorn nuts, soak them in an excess of distilled water. The tannic acid should dissolve in the water. Pour off the water. In a blender mix in activated charcoal from an aquarium supply store. Activated charcoal absorbs non-polar molecules like chlorophyl. Let the water / activated charcoal sit may one hour at room temperature. Filter out the activated charcoal. Remove the water (evaporate it away or boil it off carefully), leaving a residue. If you can get it, dissolve the residue in a minimum of hot ethanol 200 proof. Or dissolve it in a minimum of hot 190 proof grain spirits. Allow to slowly cool, you might get crystalline tannic acid. Then very slowly add drops of ether, if you can get it , more tannic acid should crystallize out. If this works, I'm not sure it will, do a melting point test on the crystalline product. A melting point test is an inexpensive qualatative test to indicate identity of crystals and purity. Compare your melting point to the known melting point of tannic acid. After filtering out the crystals it's best to put the product into an expensive vacuum dessicator system. Tannic acid might be deliquescent, I'm not sure (absorbs water from the air). I know this isn't synthetic fuel but Anne asked the question.
    Last edited by WesleyB; 11th September 2017 at 04:57 AM.