Thread: toyota coaster 2b engine on neat biodiesal?

toyota coaster 2b engine on neat biodiesal?

hi l have an old coaster bus l would like to run on neat biodiesel, does anyone know lf i will need to make any modifications first?

thanks so much, Keith

Re: toyota coaster 2b engine on neat biodiesal?

Biodiesel should work in that engine fine with no modifications.
    What would be advised, is to add an inline fuel filter before the main fiule filter to intercept any diesel "sludge" which would otherwise block your OEM fuel filter. Cheap fuel filters can be has for $2.00 each (Cheap Auto Parts, etc) so buy half a dozen and keep them ready to replace any which block up.

Welcome to the grease gang

Hey thanks Tony, we are on the same wavelength, l made 200 litres last week, and after letting it settle for 24 hrs l ran it through a super cheap autos $1.99 fuel filter before filling up my tank with it.

Have used half a tank getting round town, runs great, got 200litre drums from a salvage joint on gillam drive armadale five for $60 bucks, and sodium hydroxide from mazzegas at cost plus...$11.50 for 2.5 kilos works out at 23 cents a litre with free chipper oil

l'm impressed thanks for putting my mind at ease about my engine....Im not washing my biodiesel, looks so clean and pure as it is, and thought in this forum seems split on whether it is really necessary?

HI guys I'm new to this one thing I thought would be an issue is the older vehilces with any rubber fuel lines gaskets, etc. Isn't the fuel system in need of an upgrade of the all rubber or items that would perish in the biodiesel enviroment. I have read that viton or a materialsomething like that is need to be for many vechiles if thery where producted before the 1993. I'm not sure but thats whatIhave read in several articles.

regards,
    Mark.

Mark, you may want to have a read of this thread here. You will see that old (pre-synthetic) hoses, gaskets etc are also at risk from the normal distillate fuel that you now buy since Jan 1st 2006. This means that you can use either fuel - distillate, or biodiesel and at some point you will have to renew these components anyway. Anyway, the softening of rubber components from biodiesel can in some cases take months/years to happen, so I would not worry too much about trying out a tank or two.
    You may want to have a few spare fuel filters on hand as you may have also heard that biodiesel will clean out all the gunk left behind by years of dino diesel in your system and wash this into your filter. After a few changes your system will be clean and you will not have to worry about this again.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

now i know that biodiesel is still work in toyota coaster's engine without any modifications. thanks a lot tony for the info. maybe i will try first to change an inline fuel filter before the main filter.

Excess methanol and caustic in the fuel may attack metals in the injection pump, that's enought o get me to wash the fuel and then you get no wear in the injection pump (I know)
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.