Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biodiesel in Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI/PD

Biodiesel in Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI/PD

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would like to say how much I appreciate the amount of useful information found on here.

We have recently purchased a Skoda Ocatvia 1.9 TDI/PD and would very much like to run it on B100. This model, with the 1.9L TDI pumpe-duse engine, has been warranted for use with B100 (EN14214 standard) in Europe and having done a bit of research I can't find any reason why the Australian version should not be fine with B100 (Skoda Europe have removed the warranty on this engine with the DPF, but it is not sold with a DPF in Australia). I am finding it difficult to convince Skoda Australia to cover the vehicle for use with (commercial) bio-diesel. I have sent them numerous emails as well as talked with the product marketing manager several times by phone. I have supplied detailed information on the Australian regulations for fuel standards as well as the the standards themselves (which appear to be at least as good, if not better, than the EN14214 standard). The response I get is a consistent one that the actual quality of bio-diesel in Australia does not comply with a particular norm which R & D in Europe are happy with (i.e. commercial suppliers are supply a fuel that does not meet EN14214 and never any mention of not warranting the vehicle for bio-diesel use for any other reason). This is particularly frustrating as it appears that the standard for petro-diesel in Australia is lower than that in Europe, yet the bio-diesel standard appears to be higher. I have even offered to keep a complete record of all fuel purchased! Any suggestions on where to take this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bazza

Re: Biodiesel in Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI/PD

If the vehicle has B100 warranty in Europe then it will run fine on any well made B100.

My 2004 Peugeot is running B100 from new, ony issues are material compatibility, so if its B100 compatible then its ok. Make sure you run it in well / properly.

Matt

PS Warranty is another matter all together, they are car salesman after all.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I feel pretty safe about running the car on bio-diesel but would really like not to have an issue with warranty, so I'll keep arguing my case with Skoda and see what happens.....

When you say I should be careful about running it in properly/well, what do you mean? I have been driving fairly conservatively since we got the car, are there any other precautions I should take?

Thanks,

Bazza

I believe that bio does not tend to carbon up around the rings and as such will tend to burn oil for longer, hence the need to bed the rings in properly. Do not pussy foot a diesel, they like to work hard and as such drive it hard, loaded as much as possible (with weight in the car) up a steep hill is best.

That is what I meant other than make sure the bio it runs on is well made, too much oil may give issues. A visiting mechanic told me of farmers trying straight clean oil and giving trouble, in Wales. He was surprised about my 60,000km on B100 with no fuel issues, only melted seals and fuel lines.

Matt
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Hi all,

for those of you who have bought new cars and might be running on them on B100 in spite of the manufacturers recommendations, have you encountered any warranty issues? What about services during the warranty period?

Thanks,

Bazza

My Polo runs the same engine, tuned a bit differently (only 74kw here, but it can be chipped up to 100kw-ish, probably more like what you have).
    It's been on B100 since the fourth tank or so. When it went in for it's first service (after 12 months!), nothing was said whatsoever about the fuel. I'd actually intended to fill it with dino just in case, but buggered that up and ended up servicing it on a full tank of bio!
    Mine also mentions a European biodiesel standard in the manual, and doesn't have a DPF, although I never bothered to chase it as far with VW Oz as you have. I guess I don't mind being a pioneer, perhaps it's a bit reckless but there's enough evidence out there that these engines are fine on B100 that I'm not particularly concerned whether VW Oz officially endorses it. Like everyone here says, the manufacturer doesn't warrant ANY fuel, so dodgy dino is just as likely to get blamed as dodgy bio.
    Go for it, you won't regret it.
    BTW, nice car that, I'd seriously consider a wagon one when replacing this. Not that I can see that happening any time soon - even with a young family we absolutely adore the Polo! Won NRMA Small COTY for the second year in a row - crazy.
    Moved from bio to Electrons - Nissan Leaf

Reverb,

Thanks for the advice, good to hear your Polo is running well on Bio!

Also have a young family and did test drive the Wagon but the sedan is actually really a hatch (although it doesn't look like it) and has an enormous boot, so many of the reasons for getting a wagon disappeared ...... also the wagon is noticeably noisier to drive.

Cheers,

Bazza

Bazza,

If it makes you feel any better, I'm running a brand new BMW 120d on B100 (recycled WVO, commercially converted to BD, meeting AU standards) and have done over 12,000km on it since new. It has only ever had 1 tank of dino-diesel and that's the one it came with when I bought it.

BMWs position is the same as many manufacturers. They'll allow up to 5% (despite claiming that NONE should be used on the fuel cap & manual) and no higher. There is no reason why high quality B100 would be a problem in a modern European diesel.

I *do* have a letter from BMW Australia stating that the warranty will cover everything EXCEPT items that come in direct contact with the biodiesel. I have that in writing at least.

As others have said, if they can claim the fuel (whatever it is) caused the problem then they won't honour the warranty regardless. The burnen of proof is unfortunately on the consumer...

My car's engine is a 2.0L 4-cylinder 3rd generation common-rail turbodiesel with an active particulate filter (DPF).

I've had NO troubles at all. See my post here: http://www.biofuelsforum.com/using_b...html#post20376

So good luck with the Skoda and I look forward to hearing updates!

Cheers,

Paul
    Two BMW 120d (April 2007 & June 2008)
    Both running B100 (from WVO) since new
    26,000km & 27,000km @ 3/4/09 and going strong! :)
    web.mac.com/nitramluap/Biodiesel

Hi Bazza, Just letting you know I'm also running B20 soybiodiesel in my Octavia PD 1.9 TDi. Quieter, more torque, less soot. Another year of warranty remaining and hoping not to need it!

When I was recently in Athens I noted that a large percentage of the taxis were Skodas. And yes, it has a huge boot. Took 3 big cases plus hand luggage when a Merc could not fit the stuff and had to tie the lid down with a bungy cord.

I asked the owner / operator what he thought of it. He said it was 3 years old and had done 600000kms with no hassles whatsoever. Enough said.
    Slippery
    Small steps taken one at a time.