Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WA government bans jatropha cultivation

Re: WA government bans jatropha cultivation

Quote Originally Posted by darren leonadas
    WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What the F#*k is a noxious weed anyway. Humans can be quite noxious.
    A noxious weed is nothing more than a plant nobody can come up with a use for.
    Is a genetically modified grain "A noxious weed" . I would say YES, just as a corporation is a PSYCHOPATH.
    In the 60's prickly pear was considered a noxious weed, We (the CSIRO) eradicated it with a beetle. Now prickly pear fruit can be bought at the Markets and is quite favoured by southern europeans, because of its high sugar content. but NOW we cant grow it without pesticides because of those pesky beetles, introduced by CSIRO. Being a fruit that grows well in arid desert regions where NOTHING else grows, and considering we could also ferment its flesh, it would be a great provider of outback ETHANOL. In far northern NSW camphorelaural is a noxious weed , a beautiful hardwood with antibacterial and natural pesticide characteristics, a hardwood naturally termite resistant, that grows faster than pine, but because we don't mill it, or use it in furniture manufacturing, or housing construction Its a "Noxious weed". Would any Politician push for a legislation banning radiata pine, i dont think so, but take a walk in a Pine plantation and listen carefully for a bird, an insect, any movement giving away ANYTHING living in the forest. THATS A NOXIOUS WEED!!!!
    when a plant becomes useful we cant grow enough of it, we monocultivate it in vast regions of the earths surface, and the idea of it getting out of control is preposterous.
    Bamboo was once considered a noxious weed, in southern QLD, NOW you cant find any old growth clumps, because someone came up with the bright idea of making bamboo laminates and flooring for construction.
    I think W.A. Politicians are a bunch of "noxious little weeds" who have sh#t for brains and have just shot themselves in the foot.
    Darren,

Does the Polis in WA know what they have done.The funniest thing that the polis hAve put forward as the main reason for declaring the oil tree as a NOXIOUS WEED is that it is harmful to cattle.Do they know about the medicinal values of Jatropha.
    I am toying with the idea of putting together a Scientific Dissertation and presenting it to the WA govt..I can get that done in a week.LIKE REAL HARD FACTS BACKED WITH YEARS OF RESEARCH DATA FROM WORLDWIDE WORK DONE FOR ABOUT 2 DECADES ON THE PLANT.I am a Oil Technologist by proffession, I have spent about 10 hours of my life for the last 18 years on the subject.Don't know wether they will take it chin up.
    But I need some one in Aus to take initiative and put it across the polis(I am in Sweaty beautiful India at the moment).Don't know what that will achieve .But hey I think we can do our own little bit .

Cheers
    Sauman

Darren>>>You so right about the Pine tress and the prickly pear.Thanks for sharing .

Hmm if you don't know what "noxious weed" means, I sure as hell hope you're not spouting environmental rhetoric when advocating biodiesel. Yes, "weed" means no use is known or the uses aren't economical, or the problems outweigh the benefits. But "noxious" means it poses a serious threat to the environment, livestock or humans. To try to ignore this just because you stand to lose as a result of pretty crook if you ask me. I suppose you'd be in to growing mimosa or lantana too if you thought you could make a buck?

Russell, If you threw a wad of cash on the ground under a sign saying "no littering" , do you think someone would charge you with the offense of littering, or do you think someone would pick it up for you.? or for themselves?
    This recent ban on jatropha, and the even more recent advent of suddenly putting excise of 38c in the litre on Meth. is a conspiracy. Call me a freak, but the oil corporation is a psychopath. And state gov. and fed. gov. make a lot of money out of the work of this psychopath.

Hi all
    The jatropha topic has been interesting reading I have not seen anything posted here as an alternative in so far as trees/bushes are concerned
    So here is a bit of info to the Chinese Tallow tree that may be of interest
    At least that is an alternative I would have thought for some areas, it is not a declared plant in any state to the best of my knowledge and it is planted here as a street tree
    There is a lot of iformation available on that tree, this short article gives one a very good over view Unfortunately this tree is not very drought tolerant
    Cheers
    Chris
    Here it is
    Production of Biodiesel from Lipids Extracted from Chinese Tallow Tree., S. Crymble1, B. Copeland1, M. Zappi1, R. Hernandes1, T. French1, B. Baldwin1, D. Thomas2, 1Mississippi State University, USA, 2Mississippi Chemical, USA.

Sapium sebiferum, commonly known as the Chinese Tallow tree, was introduced into the United States from its native China as early as the 1700s. Unfortunately, the tree’s nonnative characteristics allow it to overrun and easily displace native foliage. Despite its attractive appearance and valuable oil content, many regions have placed restrictions on the distribution of the tree, as it has invaded areas throughout the southeastern United States.Chinese Tallow grows quickly in a variety of soils. The fruit of the tree is a white seed that contains approximately 40% extractable lipids. This extract can be used to produce a number of products, including biodiesel. One hectare of Chinese Tallow trees can produce approximately 12,500 kg of seed, which could potentially yield 5,500 kg of oil. This amount of oil per hectare is almost 15 times that of soy oil, which is the most commonly oil for making biodiesel.The oil that is produced from the Chinese Tallow tree has been found to contain high amounts of palmitic fatty acid, along with some oleic, linoleic and linolinic fatty acids. These acids can be base transesterified to form biodiesel. Making biodiesel from Chinese Tallow oil would accomplish two major goals. The invasive Chinese Tallow tree would become a useful, commercially viable crop. Also, the biodiesel produced from Chinese Tallow would allow the United States to decrease its dependence on imported energy by displacing foreign petroleum with a domestic source of biodiesel that would not increase the necessary crop acreage.

Re: WA government bans jatropha cultivation - Re. Chinese Tallow

I agree that the Chinese Tallow looks to be a promising candidate for biodiesel feedstock. The following extract (now quite dated going by the references) gives pertinent details as to its potential.
    Sapium sebiferum

Note that in the para pertaining to Yield MT refers to Metric Tonnes (ie, kilograms). The $ returns would also probably be much higher now.

hey,

I do not understand the reasoning behind the ban. A lot of devoted scientist have spent a great deal of time on research in the field of jatropha to eradicate its ways of behaving as a noxious weed. I have seen the statements made about the potential of jatropha and I agree with them, but it has another important benefit. due to the fact that it can grow under extreme conditions it can stop desertification and turn waste land into profitable farm land. Now the only complaints that the government has agains growing jatropha is the weed factor, which I can say with confidence has been solved. there is a hybrid that will not behave in that manner. So with that problem solved, the only issue left is the effect it could have on cattle (or so the government clams), which is rediculus since the animals know not to eat it, which has already been pointed out in a previous post. so i see no reason not to grow jatropha in australia. it will have a big economic impact and can help the australian economy immensely.

Thank god that some state governments can still make positive environmentally cautious decisions rather than going gun-ho into starting up industries for their economic benefit. To allow the introduction of a plant that is known to have potential for invading native communities and escaping crops is ludicrous in my opinion.

Jatropha curcas is very well adapted to the climate of north Australia, and given its drought tolerance and ability to vegetatively reproduce, it has a strong advantage in outcompeting native vegetation and forming dense impenetrable thickets. Much of Australias northern lands are relatively intact ecosystems that provide crucial services, and using overseas examples of where jatropha has been utilized for rehabilitating decrepid land is not relevant.

Australia is a developed country as you say and this means it has the advantage of being cautious in its environmental decisions. The australian economy is not in such a desperate situation that it needs to exploit the land for immediate gain or accept any industry that will alleviate rural poverty.

Sauman, i suggest you zoom out of your own agenda and consider the wider implications of allowing jatropha curcas as a biofuel feedstock for the environment. No false information is being conveyed to the public. THe fact is not a lot of information is available for the environmental effects of jatropha curcas in australia, and I am glad the government has erred on the side of caution.

thanks
    rob

hi cliff,
    can you provide any links to info on the hybrid that you mentioned, or some results from all of the work that those scientists out in the field have been doing?
    thanks
    rob

hi Rob,

I can see where your coming from, but the benefit that jatrpha has over other crop is that it grows in areas where pretty much nothing else can. So in other words infertile land can be turned into fertile land.
    Regarding the Australian economy I believe you are right. We are not in a position where it is vital for us to look at jatropha, but I do not believe we should completely disregard the oportunity that jatropha brings.

Regarding the information about the hybrid, I am currently not in the position to disclose any information. I am sorry, but during my visit to Singapore and Malaysia I had to sign a confidentiality agreement, but I am sure that the info will be available soon.

Regards

Cliff

Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running!
    Noxious weeds

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Noxious weed)
    Jump to: navigation, Home
    Noxious weeds are designated plants by state or national agricultural authorities as plants that are injurious to agricultural and/or horticultural crops. Most have been introduced into a foreign ecosystem either by accident or mismanagement, but some are also native species. typically they are plants that are aggressive growing and/or multiply quickly and adversely effect desired plants or somehow are injurious to livestock or humans. They are a presently a large problem in the western United States, greatly effecting areas of agriculture, forest management and other open lands.
    See also invasive species.
    Generally speaking, I would consider weeds as plants that when growing in an environment where they are not native, they grow profusely, to the detriment of the native flora or fauna.

I for one am glad they are so strict with quarantine in Australia. We really did learn from our past mistakes. Not being able to cultivate jatropha isn't the end of the world. Maybe look towards native plants that can be used.