Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WA government bans jatropha cultivation

Re: WA government bans jatropha cultivation

Well what can I say....This Government has no idea what the farmers are facing here in WA... We have farmland thats barely profitable for growing crops, ideal for this commodity and for landcare. I live in the wheatbelt of WA and we need trees fast...This government is paying people to remove trees...i.e Willows...Whats this state doing? Willows are great for erosion problems in creeks and feed and shade for stock.

I think the Jatropha would be excellent here for areas of farmland needing attention. Wouldn't it be great if it grew on salt! We have plenty of that around. I think we could use it to benefit ally farming and organic matter and also shade for stock.

They need to get out of there stuffy offices and look around at the devestation of our land thats rapidly appearing and find bio diversity fast! I'm all for it what a great crop...It didn't take the idiots long to bring in GM canola...what a bunch of small minded pen pushers...Get out here and have a look we need this for our future generations sustainability.

Jodi,
    I agree that Jatropha has promise as a fuel feedstock.
    While I do not know of the reasons for it being on the Declared Plants list, but I do believe that it can be rampant in certain conditions and you may not be able to control it in some cases. This may be one of the reasons.
    Jatropha also requires manual picking, although with Australian ingenuity, someone will surely come up with an invention to mechanise this function.

I suggest that you contact the Department of Agriculture (WA) to seek an explanation of why it is on the list and to determine what you need to do to seek an exemption, to allow you to trial this tree as a oilseed crop on your property.

You may find that there are other good reasons why it is banned (I am sure AgWest believe there are). If you manage to obtain permission, I am sure there will be a number of conditions imposed to minimise any perceived risk to the environment.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Quote Originally Posted by darren leonadas View Post
    Russell, If you threw a wad of cash on the ground under a sign saying "no littering" , do you think someone would charge you with the offense of littering, or do you think someone would pick it up for you.? or for themselves?
    This recent ban on jatropha, and the even more recent advent of suddenly putting excise of 38c in the litre on Meth. is a conspiracy. Call me a freak, but the oil corporation is a psychopath. And state gov. and fed. gov. make a lot of money out of the work of this psychopath.
    Darren, it is people like you that are the reason there is so much misinformation on the internet. IMHO, you're not a freak. Just an idiot with NFI what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi James View Post
    Well what can I say....This Government has no idea what the farmers are facing here in WA... We have farmland thats barely profitable for growing crops, ideal for this commodity and for landcare. I live in the wheatbelt of WA and we need trees fast...This government is paying people to remove trees...i.e Willows...Whats this state doing? Willows are great for erosion problems in creeks and feed and shade for stock.

I think the Jatropha would be excellent here for areas of farmland needing attention. Wouldn't it be great if it grew on salt! We have plenty of that around. I think we could use it to benefit ally farming and organic matter and also shade for stock.

They need to get out of there stuffy offices and look around at the devestation of our land thats rapidly appearing and find bio diversity fast! I'm all for it what a great crop...It didn't take the idiots long to bring in GM canola...what a bunch of small minded pen pushers...Get out here and have a look we need this for our future generations sustainability.
    Why should we plant jatropha in the wheatbelt, when we can plant Mallees? It is Mallee country after all.

There is a LOT of money spent trying to solve the problems we have in the wheatbelt. Planting a noxious weed is unlikely to be considered the solution to any of them.

Why do people insist on thinking there is only ever one, simple answer, to massively complex problems like the degradation of farming land?

Yes, Jatropha can be grown on marginal land. However there isn't much evidence, that I've seen, to suggest it can be grown in a commercially viable way in a country like Australia. Australian farmers don't have the same requirements as poor farmers in India, so you can't assume that a viable crop there will be viable here.

Why not fix the degradation, rather than just learning to live with it?
    Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

Im glad your here troy so i dont have to waste my breath with these people that really don't look beyond the surface of the topic of the month. Anybody thats done any real research will know that the cost of harvest for jathropa is prohibitive here and the fact that it has weed like characteristics makes me glad they haven't allowed it here. Look at parramattagrass, fireweed,blackberries, lantana etc etc do we need any more???
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

i totally agree. In fact we have articles re that.

Check htttp://www.biofuelshub.com

thanks.

I do know that Jatropher oil is inedable and tankeridge would need to be seperate from edible oil feedstocks. You can't put jotropher into tanks meant for Canola / Sunflower oil.

Uncle Slabs
    Vauxhall Combo 1.7d non heated filter, using HDUCOME B50-B100. Bodywork mods: Rust & dents!

The problem is one of control, while yes there are many good features with some of these plants the, the prolific nature of some plants (and I am speaking universal) is such that they overwelm the native species and become uncontrolable. If you look at footage of the prickly pear you will see vast areas of land which was inundated.

I am a firm believer in Biodiesel but not at any cost, Australia canot be all things to all plants, we need to know where to draw the line and on occassions we may get it wrong, but is better to get it wrong occassionally then like now we have a problem with RATTAIL another introduced species.

There are so many other safe species for Australia that need development lets at least exhaust them first.

And if these regions like India can do it so well then let them use this and be glade for them.

Gene

I agree with darren leonadas. This type of weed can not lead to a modification of the plant. I work in a science company, and we research this question 4 years ago. we then used Microwave Moisture Sensor for measuring moisture content of grain and how it affected the quality.