Thread: Bio compatible sealant

Bio compatible sealant

I have a need for a suitable sealant that will withstand and happily take B100 for all of its life. I need to cover a sensitive part of my fuel system whose covering dissolving in the presence of B100 and blocking filters (Fuel pressure sensor and wires / lugs coming out of the fuel filter housing to the external connector).

I expect it to fail completely unless its addressed, hence the need for something to seal it up with.

Matt
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Re: Bio compatible sealant

Matt,

Just a suggestion...

Maybe not silicon based sealant but something more permanent... Expoxy?

BTW Has it stopped raining up there YET? :-(
    Last edited by hdj80; 4th March 2008 at 07:50 AM.
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Yes I have thought about Epoxy and bought some, on another front I am going to buy an aircraft gasket sealant that is avgas resistant, may do the trick. Otherwise the supercheap epoxy is the go.

Yes its well and truely stopped raining, lovely Autumn weather. Can't promise anything but it should be mainly dry now till September/October when storms come back.

What should I do with this Walbro pump?
    Matt
    Biodiesel Bandit

Excellent good news about the weather...

Bring the Walbro with you when you visit. If that is OK...? and we can make a swap
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

I second that. :-)
    Maverick
    Canberra

Well if that's the case I must bring two down then, one working one not!

Who gets what?

Now a Sealant suggestion please!

Matt
    Biodiesel Bandit

Matt,
    I have been using a product called 3Bond 1215. It is silicone based and have had it in my reactor for over 18 months and its still fine. It was around $30 for a tube but I feel well worth it.
    I have read here before that some guys use old school "Stag" jointing paste, but if you need it to be flexible the silicone may be the go.
    Also if you need to make gaskets I found Silicone sheet at clark rubber. I soaked a bit of it in Bio for over a month and it came out and performed exactly the same as unsoaked stuff. Again, not cheap at around $35 per sq foot but good stuff none the less.

Hope that helps some,
    Chris

I don't recommend Stag. I used it to fix a leak on my reactor and it dissolved during the next batch.

Thanks for that info, I have a gasket sealant at home Permatex Ultra Blue that I am testing as you did, I am wondering about known products as you have mentioned, thank you.

Its interesting it has taken three years and six months for the issue to have to come to the fore, it blocked a filter and the agent that seals the pressure sensor and the connections going out to the external connector are dissolving and breaking up, hence the requirement for B100 over long times. Now to find a second/spare filter housing!

Matt
    Biodiesel Bandit

I dunno if you have a product called Goop automotive adhesive but that has worked wonders for me. I even used it as a gasket for my methanol recovery still and it is still (!) doing fine two years on. I have also used it around leaky plumbing fittings on various reactor system parts with good success.