Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gunge in fuel tank

Re: Gunge in fuel tank

I think I recall that a small amount of vege in a diesel tank with controlled algae causes a sudden outbreak of full on algal growth.

I had grey sludge in mine, perhaps Queensland blacksoil algae, yours is Simpson Red algae. Anyone with Sandgroper White Algae..... ?

BrianW had reference to a suitable algaecide for WVO in another post recently. I've been using Chemtech in my small diesel tank at 4 times normal strength to try to keep the injectors clean.

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Smile Re: Gunge in fuel tank

Quote Originally Posted by Fitian View Post
    While you do that, would you like to install a cheap in line filter on the return line going to that tank?

Good luck
    Not sure what you mean. I am fairly sure the algae grew in the tank. I won't be using the return line from now on with looped diesel supply.
    Johnnojack

Lake Macquarie (just south of Newcastle) NSW

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    No not a clagged up veg oil tank, the diesel tank. 2 weeks ago I lost power during a trip. Each time I stopped I had less power and less revs until I finally had a maximum 1800rpm and top speed of 60ks (on the flat)
    After a tow and limping home I checked my filters and found the diesel filter was still flowing but very dirty. On cutting it open I found this
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/...7fe1218179.jpg
    Gunge! but only in the diesel filter, the vege filter was pristine after 6000km. However after replacing the filter I had no improvement and my vacuum gauge still told me all filters were OK. So it was off with the IP.
    The IP was not spotless but not bad and the filter screen in the high pressure head was clear. I decided to change all my O ring seals for Viton ones as the one at the bottom of the pressure regulating valve was fairly shot. After waiting days for the new seals I finally got it all back to together to find no improvement in power whatsoever.
    Johnnojack
    No improvement! Starts OK? If so compression must be good. Check injectors I guess. Or is it the IP?

Quote Originally Posted by 98troopy View Post
    No improvement! Starts OK? If so compression must be good. Check injectors I guess. Or is it the IP?
    Tis going like a rocket again, you must have missed reading my earlier post.
    Johnnojack

Bumped up for Atrix's info
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation