Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Processing rice bran oil?

Processing rice bran oil?

Hi there folks.

Just joined these pages after doing a little research into bio diesel and also experimenting with a hydrogen or 'joe cell' to boost engine performance...

Seems like i need to get my hands on some KOH for use as an electrolyte... baking soda is a nono apparantly...

Still a newbie in these endeavors but hungry to learn more.

I work as a chef and go through many litres of rice bran oil a week. Would be awesome to turn this into fuel for my 4wd.

What do i need to begin this process?

Cheers.

Re: Processing rice bran oil?

Concentrate on the biodiesel from your rice bran oil. It will easily give you a fuel you can use in your diesel vehicle.

Leave the "Joe Cell" for when you have plenty of time and money to waste. You should then be able to invest in Brown's Gas and perpetual motion projects.

Tony

Yeah cool. The joe cell is bit of fun but maybe will work...

Where would you recommend a complete newbie start off? Can you recommend any recipes or sites with easy to follow directions for biodiesel?

Cheers.

This site, has lots of good information. Easy to follow and has step by step instructions to help you create your very first mini batch.

Yeah awesome thats got some excellent info. I especially like the 55 gallon drum for the wash tank and the carboy methoxide mixer system!

I drive a nissan terrano 1990... this should burn the oil no worries?

How do you dispense your biodiesel?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldirt View Post
    Yeah awesome thats got some excellent info. I especially like the 55 gallon drum for the wash tank and the carboy methoxide mixer system!
    Start small... one liter batches first until you know what you're doing.

I drive a nissan terrano 1990... this should burn the oil no worries?
    You'll probably want to use a blend in Tassie. Low temps cause problems with straight 100% bio... Apparently Rice bran oil has a higher gel point than most common WVO... so you'll def need to blend it.

Not sure about that particular car. Main thing is look for rubber fittings in the fuel system. Bio eats rubber eventually.

How do you dispense your biodiesel?

Cheers.
    In the fueltank?

Properly made Biodiesel = diesel.
    Last edited by kamel; 5th May 2008 at 07:27 PM.

Yeah cool. So i blend it with normal diesel from the pump?

What if i install a fuel heater to heat the biodeisel before it gets sucked into the combustion chamber?

Cheers.

Digital Dirt you really need to read some more info from this forum please. Please stop posting til you have read more. Biodiesl doesn't require heating, SVO does i think your confusing the two. Plese read more before posting any more as it would be appreciatedby all members. You learn by reading and listening not writing and talking. Welcome to the forum here and please ask lots of questions but try to make them specific as it helps members to answer them propmtly and acurately. i don't intend to offend you just inform you of the correct way to post to assist you in the long run.
    Goodluck. hope you can see where i'm coming from.
    Cheers Nick.
    Last edited by RODEONICK; 6th May 2008 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Attempted to tone down post.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

What if i install a fuel heater to heat the biodeisel before it gets sucked into the combustion chamber?

Cheers.
    OMG what engine are you thinking of running this fuel in? The only diesel engine that I know of that sucks the fuel in was make many many years ago and ran at speeds way too slow to be of any use in a car. Also these engines weighed more than the everage 4x4 does today.

Very cold boidiesel will start to turn to gel. The temp that this happens at will depend on the parent oil. The problem is that the fuel filters now block and the engine will not run, so heat would have to be applied BEFORE the filter. But furthermore in very cold contitions it may turn to gel within the fuel tank and not flow out the fuel line at all.
    So by experimenting and adding ordinary diesel in varying quantities and putting the samples into your fridge you can find how much you need to add.

Yeah cool i have found lots of helpful info on the topic and reading to digest.

I dont know much about diesel engines which is why mw q's might seem bit silly... but i am a fast learner

In Siberia they have to start a small fire under their fuel tanks to liquefy their diesel... so i figured a small heater might do the trick in Tassie... but first things first!

I have found a source of methanol and been recommended to use Lye instead of potassium hydroxide... going to mix up a test batch in 2 litre soda bottle with fresh oil and take it from there... dont worry i am used to handling hot oil so this will be a breeze... i can borrow gloves and eye protection from work.

Cheers.