Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injector pump leaking HDJ80 Dec 93 turbo

Injector pump leaking HDJ80 Dec 93 turbo

Iv'e noticed a leak coming from the front of my injector pump. It looks like it's coming from the top bolt which faces backwards near the front of fuel pipe fitting on the IP.
    There is no reference to this bolt in my Haynes service manual.
    It will leak visibly when you hand prime it using diesel or when it's on veg using a walbro lift pump.
    There are alot of visible bubbles in the return line which are not coming from the send line.
    Performance is OK. Just worried whats ahead.
    Does anyone know if it's an easy fix?
    Has anyone had similar?
    P.S.
    It is also leaking from somewhere under the IP at the same time.
    Last edited by oztec2007; 16th May 2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: further information

Re: Injector pump leaking HDJ80 Dec 93 turbo

I just looked at the bolt and it looks unaccessible unless the pump is removed.

I would take it to a diesel mechanic as someone competant will need to set the timing again. Tell him you need a cheap repair and maybe check/recalibrate the pump while it is off.

If it has to come off it would be good to know the condition of the pump before continuing on WVO.

After just rebuilding my engine I would be very careful about purging the pump and injectors and only running on WVO once oil is hot.

good luck
    Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series 1990 VX Ltd - 12HT powered- diesel for run-in period (no longer 1HDT).
    190L vege oil LR tank and 90L diesel, Vormax, 30 plate FPHE, two automated 3-way ball valves with delay to prevent mixing on purge.

Thanks Brian I think my pump was leaking before the conversion I'll probably have to put a viton seal kit in it or something and hope I can nut it out myself.

depending on when your pump had its last kit through it if it was due to low sulphur diesel, it will probably need all the seals done. The one on the front of the pump where the drive shaft goes in stops diesel getting onto the timing belt. (I am sure you can work out what a well lubricated timing belt leads to) I did have problems wih the seal on the injector pump that sits on the side facing the engine, due to air leaks in the fuel, but if its more than one place its leaking from
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Regards
    Geoff.
    1992 Rodeo 2.8 Turbo Diesel SVO, dual tank, 3m copper pipe in pipe HE from vege tank to engine bay, 6 way pollack valve, OEM water separator, OEM fuel filter, 20 F.P.H.E before I.P. Digital thermometer with probe clamped to IP fuel inlet. I switch to vege at 40degC. Runs at 70 to 75 degC. Switch back to diesel 3km before home.

Thanks chris it's done 360K and has never had any work done on the IP so I'm not sure when it's due. Maybe I've been lucky sofar.

Thanks Geoff I read your post the pictures of the VW IP were enlightening to say the least. I think my seven year old or the dogs might change the order around a bit. I might have to take the risk and do it anyway. I'll spend a bit more time researching first.
    I use wvo and start/stop on diesel.

Regards

Mark

For anyone that is interested...

I know a family business in QLD thats been Rebuilding Diesel IP's for 20 years...

And they WONT charge you the earth.. Yes you will have to send you IP to QLD... But here is an example:

My Nissan IP Here in Perth NOR Deisel Injector Service.

$400 to remove and Refit
    $1600 For rebuild.

QLD....

I remove and Refit $0

Pump Rebuild $650.

Now that will vary depending upon the pump, as I was informed in their 20+years of experience, the type of Nissan pump I have very rearly needs a the drive shaft or cam replaced as the, and they would only do that IF it was Necessary.

They were also happy to supply Seal Kits, injector tips etc, for the home DYI person... My seal kit cost me $45+ $10 for austpost express post.. and the seals are the ones that are designed for b100, not just the standard ones...

Anyway, if anyone is interested PM me...
    Nissan Patrol 2007 CRD 3.0l

Pre-heated oil - Blended Injection Pre-Rail - Flash Tuned for efficancy

2004 TD42T Nissan Patrol - Wife Proof ( Electronic change over / temp control / auto purge etc )

100% SVO since 2006 - SIMPLE NO FUSS Setup. 5 West to East to West Crossings, Numerous Adventures, and Many Weekend Trips... 350 000 kms + on SVO and counting

Conversions to date :
    1 x Nissan CRD 3.0l, 2007

2 x Nissan RD2.8t 1998,1999
    4 x Nissan 4.2TD 1996,2001,2004,2006
    2 x Ford Ranger (pre TDCi) 2004,2006
    2 x Toyota Trayback Commercials 3l TD : Both 2000+ Imports Di's
    1 x Electric Start 8hp Cement Mixer - NON TURBO !!!
    1 x 5hp Water Pump - Also NON TURBO !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oztec2007 View Post
    Thanks chris it's done 360K and has never had any work done on the IP so I'm not sure when it's due. Maybe I've been lucky sofar.
    mine had been done prior to 1996 (each diesel shop has a unique number they stamp in the lead slug that wires the IP shut. He had records going beack to 1997 and no trace of the a shop having that number) and my car had done 430,000 ks (and 1 engine rebuild). They replaced a fair few parts, and charged me $1600 including retiming the pump, but not removing or replacing it (mind you to time it they removed a lot of stuff).
    Anyway i am going on what they told me a bit, but the new timing case did not come with timing marks, so timing it would have been hit and miss.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Thanks Chris
    I'll have to bite the bullet sometime soon, though I'd like to try to get ahead a bit for a while if it holds out.

Mark