Thread: Biodiesel Seminar in Canberra, Aug 2008

Biodiesel Seminar in Canberra, Aug 2008

My name is Alex from Queanbeyan, and I am new to BD but keen to make some. In my research I came accross Jonathon Thwaites who is based at the University of WA and is biodiesel enthusiast. I expect many of you have heard of hime already. He runs biodiesel making courses in association with a WA company called Bioworks www.bioworks.com.au who manufacture BD plants from small backyard to industrial size.

I contacted him about attending one of his courses in WA but his response was that he was happy to come out here. He would be happy to give one of his courses if I could find 10 or more people and a venue. He would charge the normal fee of $140 for the 4 hour seminar which would cover his expenses, flights, room cost etc. He is available in Mid to late August.

For more information on Jonathon and the course content either go to the Bioworks website or follow this link
    http://www.sustainability.ofm.uwa.edu.au/welcome/biodiesel>

or search his name if this does not work.

If you are interested in attending this course you can email me at spadog@bigpond.com

Regards
    Alex

Re: Biodiesel Seminar in Canberra, Aug 2008

Alex,
    Welcome to the wonderfull world of Biodiesel.

Forget that guy... If you really want to know how to make bio just ask, there is so much information on the web and in these forums you don't need that uni guy.

BTW never heard of him and I have been researching biodiesel for over 5 years and have been making bio for over 3 years... I just saw that site you had linked and closed straight out..... not interested....
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Yeah! I agree with HDJ80.
    4 hours is not a lot of time to cram a heck of a lot of info into your head and retain it.

Once you have consumed alot of info here, safely making BioDiesel is easy! Oil supply and Infrastructure however, is another story.
    Chris

Jonathon Thwaites, Phillip Calais and I used to run biodiesel workshops at the UWA. These covered biodiesel processing (single stage base process only), SVO conversions, political issues, etc. We stopped doing them around 2 or 3 years ago.
    It looks like Jonathon is just doing the biodiesel part of that course, as it took 4 hours to do well.
    There were no complaints about the value of the course by attendees of those courses, even though the price was $100 per attendee.

Regards,
    Tony

I tend to agree with HDJ80 and Jasper, there is more than enough experience here to educate newbies..........it was the local guys who taught me.
    Maverick
    Canberra