Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using straight WVO without any modifications to 300D

Using straight WVO without any modifications to 300D

Gday, has anyone simply poured WVO straight into the tank without using any in-line heaters, different injectors, etc?
    I have heard you can do this to the old Benz 300Ds with great success.

Thanks.

Re: Using straight WVO without any modifications to 300D

I believe that this does work, at least for some time especially in warmer climates. In winter and colder climates, engine starting is unreliable and may cause significant deposits in the engine if the engine needs to be cranked for some time to start.
    These deposits can cause accellerated engine wear. They can also polymerise in the engine oil (in worst case solidification of the engine oil) - NOT GOOD.

Please spend some time reading here about converting a 300D to use straight or thinned vegetable oils as diesel fuel.
    If you are handy, I believe that you can make the conversion for under $500. Just 5 tanks of fuel to pay for the conversion. Not much to recommend petroleum products eh?

Regards,
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    If you are handy, I believe that you can make the conversion for under $500. Just 5 tanks of fuel to pay for the conversion. Regards,
    Tony

This is very true.

If you are handy...

- You should be able to make your own heat exchnagers instead of paying $115 FPHE.
    - Use 2 x three ways valve instead of a $100 Pollak electric valve.
    - Use cheapo in line filters for wvo instead of a $60 CAV filter.
    - Use $3 per meter garden hose instead of $9 per meter fuel hose.
    - Use an empty window cleaner container for your start up fuel instead of a $30 proper diesel fuel container
    - You won't need brass fittings if you are that handy. Any steel pipe off cuts will do.
    No doubt, that way you can get your conversion done for under $500.

And you'll live happily ever after.
    Fitian
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by wolfriver View Post
    Gday, has anyone simply poured WVO straight into the tank without using any in-line heaters, different injectors, etc?
    I have heard you can do this to the old Benz 300Ds with great success.

Thanks.
    g'day the ol benz are tuff as nails. try adding just 10% 5micron filtered WVO to your next fill up on diesel and go from there slowly adding more WVO each tank till your happy. Mine starts cold on 100% biodiesel in winter way too easy so i'm going to start adding filtered and dryed WVO blends to my tank soon.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers Nick.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Quote Originally Posted by Fitian View Post
    This is very true.

If you are handy...

- You should be able to make your own heat exchnagers instead of paying $115 FPHE.
    - Use 2 x three ways valve instead of a $100 Pollak electric valve.
    - Use cheapo in line filters for wvo instead of a $60 CAV filter.
    - Use $3 per meter garden hose instead of $9 per meter fuel hose.
    - Use an empty window cleaner container for your start up fuel instead of a $30 proper diesel fuel container
    - You won't need brass fittings if you are that handy. Any steel pipe off cuts will do.
    No doubt, that way you can get your conversion done for under $500.

And you'll live happily ever after.
    adding all that up its $550 then

I think Fitian's point is that if you're going to do the job properly it will cost you a lot more than that, particularly if you take into account proper brass fittings, fuel hose, clamps, insulation etc.

You could penny pinch and do it for $500 but what's the point? You'll end up with an unreliable vehicle that will cause you endless trouble. And when you are saving $1.80 for every litre of oil you use, a good quality conversion that may cost a bit more will pay for itself in a few months anyway.
    Sean

It has been suggested that its not good to leave veggie oil in injector pump. Its better to rinse it out with diesel ie using pollack 6 port. I know Benz are strong but my brother has just spent 1300 dollars on injector pump repair(rotary on hilux) and I sold my hilux not going. The pumping vane and advance mechanism were clogged, He used a 50% wvo mix. Tony

I have just bought a 1 tank elsbett conversion for my merc, so have a 2 tank conversion for sale.

includes
    20L plastic drum for fuel with fuel guage sender installed,
    fuel guage,
    2 "made up" fuel heaters (which work quite well, and were easier to come by before FPHE's became common)
    Diesel fuel pump,
    a pollack valve,
    fuel filter (cav) ,
    matching plastic (for a black w123 merc interior) guage/ switch holder, relays so the pollack valve can use a rocker switch,
    "turbo boost" fuel pressure/ vacuum guage as well.
    aprox 40,000 hose clamps. (give or take 39,980)
    Various brass T pieces (I have 2 cheap filters on the way in and a fuel bypass to make it easier to flush air out and reduce pressure to the fuel filter which blew out seals for reasons I have failed to understand)

Seems a logical place to put it up for sale, as the number $500 seems to come up a bit. Will need either a roll of garden hose or fuel hose to run from the back. (I have used both)

And can test drive in the vehicle for a week or so at least...

I think the "under $500" for a "cheap" conversion is accurate, and would be better than no conversion. Of course you could spend more on a good 2 tank conversion, or even more on an elsbett one tank conversion. I guess its all a matter of how much you want to pay.
    Last edited by Captain Echidna; 12th June 2008 at 09:28 PM.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Captain Echidna, how much did your Elsbett system cost? And why did you go with it instead of using your old system?
    Also, how much are you selling your old system for?
    Thanks,
    Wolf

Why an elsbett? Probably a number of reasons.

Mainly fossil Fuel use. Between the two cars we own we spend around $50 in diesel between them, which having one run on oil 100% of the time should drastically reduce as often the other car is not being used. (We do a lot of short trips in town), which is an easy way to reduce the fuel used for these.

The car is in need of glowplugs and the injectors rebuilt anyway I suspect as its a bit hard to start in the mornings (or its low on compression, so either way if so its up for a rebuild)

Why do it on an old car? Elsbett dont convert DI diesels (ruling out the landcruiser), and the wife isnt going to part with the car for a while, and when I said elsbetts were availible again for the car she danced around the kitcken.

It cost $1600, and I havent fitted it yet., I would prefer to support green technology rather than fossil fuel and also to show it can be done.

I am asking $500 for the kit, which includes just about everything needed to convert the car. (the only thing I can think of will be fuel hose from the back of the car)

Will also include a buzzer to remind you to change over if you turn it off on veggie oil.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>