Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bigger Picture - Australian Biofuel Users Group

The Bigger Picture - Australian Biofuel Users Group

Based on recent media & Senate activities. It is obvious that Biodiesel Groups and all Renewables Groups NEED to band together to work for the greater good of acceptance and growth of Renewables Fuels.

It is no longer appropriate to remain on the sidelines as a splinter group and promote the benefits of a biofuel. There is a growing industry awareness that the Treasury's (disguised as the Senate) recent decapitation of Biodiesel subsidies is just the beginning, and the Treasury is determined to mine as much tax money from Renewables as possible. Shortsightedness is not the unique to the Treasury, as Labor demonstrated in the vote. Both the recent Landline segment on Renewables & 4-Corners piece on Oil Peaking, have clearly indicated the incongruent & contradictory messages from Government.

With unity, the various Biofuel groups can insure that the media's igniting the fire does not slip into the basket of yesterday's smoldering news. In short, the individual groups of the regions must band together into a larger community where the Australian Biodiesel Users Group will become a tender and keep the issues aflame, a beacon on the horizon for all that search for information and knowledge.

I am not suggesting that the regional groups disband or become less active, but if we, individually, are determined to see change - We, collectively, must work to achieve it.

It may sound corny, but I suggest a web meeting dedicated to the discussion and potential formation of ABUG, Australian Biofuels Users Group. I look forward to your responses.
    Regards, ML
    Morris Lyda
    [URL=http://www.thebiodieselstation.com]
    The Biodiesel Station

Re: The Bigger Picture - Australian Biofuel Users Group

Hi Morris,
    I agree. Something is simply not working and the environmentally preferred options aren't just failing to get traction as we have expected but are losing ground at a scarey pace. I just do not get it.

What is/are the Industry Group(s) doing when the end consumers of a commercial product have to be doing the lobbying? Maybe they are doing great stuff but they definitely don't seem to be sharing that with the rest of the biodiesel/biofuel community.

Whatever it is it doesn't seem to be working so I am keen to see another front open up.

Cheers,
    Cameron

Morris and Robert,
    I have been promoting the formation of such a group for around 4 years now. I will support the formation of such a group and I am sure that members ot WARFA will likewise support and promote it.
    I also see the need to allow those who would use biofuels, but have no access to commercial biofuels (nor a desire to make thier own).
    Tony

Hello everyone. Sorry about my long absence - been overseas, then had to deal with some injury upon my return. The work piles up meanwhile and I'm scarce seen around here...
    I'll try and stop in a bit more often now and try to get on top of what is happening in the scene here - I know I've missed a bunch in the last month and there is still more that I have heard that I have not see discussed in here.
    So, let's cut to the chase - Morris, Tony, Cameron - you are all right. We have discussed this before and usually, I've shied away from it. However, I'm sure that we can all see that the time is well ripe for this. So what needs to happen from here? I guess that we need to decide on a few basics, one of the first being members. As I'd like to see it, any closely aligned group (think WARFA, Sydney Biodiesel, Melbourne Biodiesel Club, Some Bloke's Renewable Fuels etc) could be members, but we'd need a few key members who manage and run the organisation. It would need to be not for profit and have well defined and clear goals that were along the lines of "moving biofuels forward".
    What's the next move? I have a feeling that I might be a busy little boy, but I'd like to not do this one on my own!
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Hi All
    It certainly is a worthwhile move to see something along the lines as they are proposed by Robert
    I will be more than happy to share the work load with you Robert as well as any one else that wants to put their hand up
    In the long term this will provide a platform as well as a voice for all concerned rather than the present scenario which is fine but in my view it has run it's course
    Let's say that we have come of age, even though we are, in a way forced to take such a step in view of all the negatives that the regulatory authorities are dishing up towards renewable energy as well as fuels
    Cheers
    Chris

Hi Morris, sorry to hear bad news about the Marrickville project, but keep a stiff upper lip.
    I have just spoken to Robert "Evil Kenieval" Fivve and i am very interested in representing the Melbourne arm/wing of a National body and lobby group, and Tony of WA has been promoting this for as long as i've known him. Well done, Maybe you could make it to Melbourne for the 29th of July and publicly speak to a congregation of Melbourne enthusiasts, Ill introduce you as another special guest. Check out the programme in the melbourne part of this site. I'm pretty sure we could find you accommodation with one of the members, if not in my front room in my home in Brunswick. And fuel for the drive home to NSW.
    Please give me plenty of notice.
    Darren.

OK, being the web-nerd that I am, my initial thoughts are to a name/identity on the web. “biofuel.com” or “biofuel.com.au” etc. You could also go for “renewablefuel.com etc… I’m certain that we’ll get the point raised that not all renewable fuels are biofuels and we should not exclude these etc. These are important points as the name cannot be easily changed once started and it goes a long way to defining the organisation.

Now, I have done some searches on possible names to register and found that some people out there have already been squatting on what they think are useful names (if you are one of these people, please come forward). One of the prime suspects is this man here: Rick Freeman of “Intoto Australia”. He has a bunch of names registered, including “biodiesel.com.au” and other very nice names. I have made contact with him previously, and he has claimed to be working for a company that has something to do with “biofuel biotechnology research and particulate minimisation”. He has claimed to have registered these names in “good faith” but has still failed to put up any sort of site. I may be seeking a challenge via the rules of the Australian domain name space should I get the nerve. Rick, if you are watching, please come forward.

In the mean time, I suppose that the first thing we need to do is to find a name. I have already registered (at the same time as this forum) the name “biofuelusers.com” which we could start using from right now, if anyone/everyone so desired. The next step would be to form some sort of official legal entity though whatever means are required in Australia for a group of this sort. I was thinking to look at doing this after everyone was comfy with a name. Once this step is complete it may make registering the web domain in the .au space a bit easier.

Your thoughts please?
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Hi All
    A few ideas to throw in the hat as well
    biofuelsources.com.au
    biofuelsource.com.au
    bioticsources.com.au
    oceaniabioenergy.com.au
    australisbiosite.com.au
    australsustain.com.au
    austain.com.au
    austainable.com.au
    biositeaustralis.com.au
    aubias.com.au, for australian biofuels and sustainability
    ozziebio.com.au
    ozziebiosources.com.au
    ausbioalt.com.au, for australian biofuel alternatives

And there is not much wrong with biofuelusers.com.au
    Cheers
    Chris

What about:

Biofuels Australia

Cheers,
    Cameron

Hi there,

I know I'm new 'n all, but I really believe in biodiesel as the way forward, and would like to see it get more awareness and coverage in the media.

This may be something to consider in the future, but I'll post it here for reference anyway...

I believe that the more often people hear about biodiesel, and the more often they hear it presented in a good light, the more people are likely to switch to using it.

A strategy to get Biodiesel into people's minds is to use the media regularly and often. Every time there is a story about petrol prices, petrol running out, pollution, even traffic jams...you can use this opportunity to promote biodiesel. Press releases are a brilliant way to do this, as the journalist can pretty much copy word for word your promotional material and make it look like "news" (yes, I'm a Noam Chomsky fan...)

Spots on radio are good to get as well. Young people are probably more likely to want to adapt, as it is in their lifetime when oil is likely to run out, so maybe try to get a spot on Hack (JTV is going to televise Hack on Friday nights, so that'd be a good way to get on TV too)

and some of the Radio National science programs would also be good to get the word out to more mature listeners.

Anyway, just a few ideas. It's good to set up a media plan right from the beginning... my experience talking to people in another organisation without a strong media strategy, and without a strong speaker for the org, and ultimately fighting a losing battle with public opinion, tells me that the media play a vital role in encouraging acceptance.